Flashcards in Gender Differences in Achievement - External Factors Deck (5)
Who discusses external factors as an explanation for the gender gap in education?
1). McRobbie --> impact of feminism.
2). Sharpe --> girls' changing ambitions.
3). Fuller --> girls' changing ambitions.
4). Reay --> class differences in girls' ambitions.
What study did McRobbie conduct?
Girls' magazines =
- 1970s = importance of getting married.
- now = assertive, independent.
What study did Sharpe do?
interviews of girls in 1970s and 1990s =
- 1970s = low aspirations (wanted marriage).
- 1990s = high aspirations for a career first.
What did Fuller find about girls' changing ambitions?
Educational success as part of their identity =
- wanted good jobs.
- believed in meritocracy so worked hard to achieve.