Flashcards in Indicating : Recording Deck (88):
What is the function of the Display Management Computer (DMC)?
Three identical DMCs obtain data from different sensors and computers and send it to the display units. Each DMC can simultaneously supply one PFD one ND and both ECAM display units.
What is the function of the EIS DMC Switching Selector?
A switch near the center of the SWITCHING panel (above the ECAM control panel) enables the flight crew to replace the Captain's or FO's Display Management Computer (DMC1 or DMC2 by DMC3).
What is the function of the Flight Warning Computer (FWC)?
Two identical FWCs generate alert messages memos aural alerts and synthetic voice messages.
What represents the Flight Path Vector (FPV)?
The FPV represents the lateral and vertical trajectory of the aircraft with respect to the ground.
The presence of VOR1 in red on the ND indicates...
The #1 VOR receiver is inoperative.
What does a pulsing green engine parameter indicate?
An ADVISORY the parameter is about to reach the limit.
What is the function of the System Data Acquisition Computer (SDAC)?
Two identical SDACs acquire data then generate signals. Some of these signals go to the three DMCs which use them to generate displays of system pages and engine parameter. Others go to the flight warning computers which use them to generate ECAM messages and aural alerts.
When is the sideslip target blue?
The sideslip target is blue if CONF 1, 2 or 3 is selected and any ENG N1> 80% or one thrust lever > MCT (>= FLX if FLX or DERATED TO) and the difference between the engine N1's exceeds 35%.
What kind of system pages are available on the ECAM SD?
In normal operation DMC 1 drives the following displays ...
CAPT PFD, CAPT ND and ECAM DUs.
What is the function of the EFIS Switching?
A PFD/ND XFR pb on each side console enables the pilot to swap displays to the respective onside DUs.
In normal operation DMC 2 drives the following displays ...
FO PFD and FO ND.
The Electronic Instrument System (EIS) presents data on ... Identical Display Units.
What is the result if you center the blue beta target?
When this index is centered with the roll index the sideslip equals the sideslip target for optimum aircraft performance.
What is the function of the ALL pushbutton?
When this pb is pressed and held down the SD successively displays all system pages at one second intervals.
Which colour coding on the EFIS screens indicates a normal condition?
After the engine shutdown you observe a pulsing STS message. What does it mean?
It is a reminder that the STATUS page holds a maintenance message.
What causes a display unit (DU) to go blank?
Loss of power.
What does Green Dot represent?
Manoeuvring speed in clean configuration.
In normal operation DMC 3 drives the following displays ...
DMC 3 is on standby ready to drive any DU.
Which colour coding on the EFIS screens indicates that crew awareness is required?
If the TERR mode fails does it affect the GPWS?
What is the function of the ECAM/ND switching?
A switch on the right hand side of the SWITCHING panel enables the flight crew to transfer the ECAM System Display to either the Captain's or FO's Navigation Display.
Can you get a terrain warning on the ND when WXR is selected?
When an alert is generated and TERR ON ND is not selected the terrain is automatically displayed and the ON light on the TERR ON ND pb comes on.
How are the ECAM warnings and cautions classified?
There are three priority levels for warnings and cautions level 3 warning has priority over a level 2 caution which has priority over level 1 caution.
How are the FMAs displayed on the PFD?
There are 5 columns and 3 rows.
What is the meaning of the green arrow at the bottom of the STATUS page?
It means that there are more information to be seen.
Both ECAM screens have failed. Is it possible to get E/WD indications?
Yes to get E/WD information. It must be manually transferred to one of the NDs.
What kind of information is displayed on the Engine Warning Display (E/WD)?
Engine parameters, Fuel On Board (FOB), Slat/Flap position.
What is the function of the T.O. CONFIG pushbutton?
This pb simulates the application of takeoff power and triggers a warning if the aircraft is not in takeoff configuration.
Which displays are possible on the ND?
What is the meaning of the flashing amber V/DEV indication?
This message flashes at the top of the glide scale when in approach phase and when either the FINAL mode is armed/engaged or a non-LS approach has been selected and the LS pb is selected.
What is the function of the RCL pushbutton?
The pilot pushes the RCL pb to call up the warning messages caution messages and the status page that may have been suppressed by the activation of the CLR pb or by flight-phase-related inhibition.
Which colour coding on the EFIS screens indicates that immediate action is required?
What kind of data are displayed on the Engine/Warning Display (E/WD) and System Display (SD)?
Primary engine indications fuel quantity flap and slat position warning and caution alerts memos permanent flight data and synoptic diagrams of aircraft systems and status messages.
When is altitude alerting automatically inhibited in flight?
- When slats are extended with the landing gear selected down
- On approach after glide slope capture
- When the landing gear is locked down
When does the Digital Flight Data Recorder operate?
- On the ground for 5 minutes after electrical power is supplied to the aircraft
- When at least 1 engine is running
- Continuously in flight, whether or not the engines are operating
- Stops 5 minutes after the last engine is shut down
When is the RCDR normally on in AUTO?
- On the ground, for 5 minutes after electric power is supplied to aircraft
- When at least 1 engines is operating
- Stops 5 minutes after the last engine is shut down
What are the Takeoff Configuration Warnings/Cautions?
T.O. CONF TEST:
- SIDESTICK FAULT (W)
- PITCH TRIM NOT IN T.O. RANGE (W)
- SPEED BRAKES NOT RETRACTED (W)
- RUDDER TRIM NOT IN T.O. RANGE (W)
- SLATS/FLAPS NOT IN T.O. RANGE (W)
- DOOR NOT CLOSED (C)
- HOT BRAKES (C)
All of above T.O. Power along with:
- PARK BRAKE ON (W)
- FLEX TEMP NOT SET (C) (unless thrust levers in TOGA detent)
How do you erase the RCDR tape?
- RCDR ON
- Aircraft on the ground
- Parking brake ON
- Press the CVR ERASE pushbutton (2 seconds)
How do you test the RCDR?
- RCDR ON
- Parking brake ON
- Press the CVR TEST pushbutton (4 tones)
What is the significance of the green, red and yellow collared circuit breakers?
- Green: Monitored by ECAM
- Red: Wing Tip Brake C/Bs
- Yellow: Pulled in compliance with prescribed procedure on battery power only (Older A320s only)
What does each column mean on the PFD?
A/THR | VERTICAL | LATERAL | APP CAPABILITY, DH/MDA | AP, FD, A/THR ENGAGEMENT STATUS
What types of warnings are NOT inhibited during takeoff?
- ENGINE FIRE
- APU FIRE
- ENG FAIL (ENG SHUT DOWN)
- ENG OIL LO PR
- L+R EVEV FAULT
- A/P OFF
- FWC 1+2 FAULT
What does pressing the RCL pushbutton do?
- Allows you to recall any warning or caution message that the activation of the CLR pushbutton or flight phase inhibition may have suppressed
- If held longer than 3 seconds, the E/WD will show any caution messages suppressed by the EMER CANC pushbutton
If power fails to the ECAM CONTROL panel which buttons are still functional?
- EMER CANC
What colour does each altitude constraint circle represent?
- White: constraint is not taken into account
- Magenta: constraint is predicted to be satisfied
- Amber: constraint is predicted to be missed
What are the 3 levels of ECAM Malfunction Notifications?
- Level 1: ALERT: Associated with amber E/WD message, no aural signal, and requires crew monitoring
- Level 2: CAUTION: Associated with the amber MASTER CAUT light, single chime, and require crew awaremess
- Level 3: WARNING: Associated with the red MASTER WARN light, CRC, and require immediate action
If simultaneous failures occur, how will they be presented to the crew?
A level 3 Warning has priority over a level 2 Caution which has priority over a level 1 Alert
What types of failures are presented to the crew?
- Independent: Failure affecting an isolated system/item without degrading other systems/items
- Primary: Failure of a system/item that affects the use of other systems/items
- Secondary: Loss of a system/item resulting from a primary failure
Which part of the E/WD would the crew find indication of Primary failures?
On the lower left portion of the screen
How is the crew made aware of mode changes on the FMA?
A white box is temporarily displayed around the new indication
How would the flight crew command an evacuation?
- Make a PA announcement: "EVACUATE, EVACUATE, EVACUATE" (GOM 6.14.02.02)
- Press the EVAC COMMAND pushbutton
- Silence the EVAC alarm on the flight deck by pushing the EVAC HORN SHUT OFF pushbutton
What does the boxed STS indicate when displayed on the SD?
- The STATUS page holds messages other than CANCELLED CAUTIONS
- Flashes after engine shutdown to alert maintenance of any other applicable messages
When does the Takeoff Memo appear?
- 2 minutes after the second engine is started or when the T.O. CONFIG TEST pushbutton is pressed with one engine running
- Takeoff Memo is removed when takeoff power is applied
How are armed modes displayed on the FMA?
- Blue: armed
- Magenta: armed because of a constraint
- Green: Engaged
When is the side stick position indication icon (white cross) displayed?
- Displayed when the first engine is started
- Disappears at liftoff
When would the sideslip index change from yellow to blue?
In case of an engine failure during takeoff/go-around, it is now a blue beta target
What colors are used to represent the various displayed flight plans?
- Active: continuous green line
- Secondary: Continuous white line
- Temporary: dashed yellow line
- Alternate: dashed blue line
- Missed Approach: continuous blue line
What does the appearance of a green arrow indicate at the bottom of the E/WD screen indicate?
Information has overflowed off the screen and the pilot must scroll down using the CLR pushbutton on the ECAM panel
What are the pitch and roll angle limits indicated by the green "=" signs
- Pitch: +30 degrees up/ -15 degrees down
- Roll: +/- 67 degrees
Top of Descent and Continue Descent arrows are displayed in blue or white. What is the difference?
- Top of Descent: Always white (never armed)
- Continue Descent: Blue indicates armed, white indicates not armed
How do you call a mechanic?
Momentarily depress the MECH pushbutton. A blue light on the EXT PWR PANEL will illuminate and an external horn will sound
What does the yellow speed trend line on the airspeed display indicate?
The speed the aircraft will reach in 10 seconds if acceleration/deceleration remains constant
What would be indicated if the altitude window changed from yellow to amber?
The aircraft has deviated from the FCU selected altitude or flight level by 250'
In general, when are the system pages automatically displayed on the SD?
- Relative to the current phase of flight, OR
- When a system malfunction is detected
What does it mean when you see the magenta target airspeed triangle above Vapp on approach?
Ground Speed Mini has increased speed due to a higher headwind component at your present location than what was calculated at the runway
What happens when you press the EMER pushbutton?
- Pink light flashes at all area Call Panels
- EMERGENCY CALL appears on all ITM indication panels
- High-low chime (repeated 3 times) sounds throughout the cabin loudspeakers
What are the 5 detent positions of the thrust levers?
- FLX MCT
- MAX REV
If the UPPER DISPLAY knob was switched to OFF what would occur?
The E/WD display would automatically transfer to the lower display
With the E/WD displayed on the lower screen, how else can you view SD information?
Press and hold the appropriate system button on the ECAM Control Panel that you wish to view
How long will SD information be available by pressing system button when E/WD is on lower screen?
If both the E/WD and SD display units fail, how can you display SD information?
- Select ECAM / ND XFER switch to CAPT or F/O
- Press and hold the respective pushbutton on the ECAM Control Panel
What does the ALL pushbutton do?
- Displays ALL the system pages successively in 1 second intervals when held down
- Release the pushbutton to maintain display of the selected page
If you press the STS push button and the system has no STATUS messages what will be displayed?
"NORMAL" for 5 seconds
What does the EMER CANC do?
- Cancels the current Level 1 or 2 warning for the remainder of the flight
- Cancels the current Level 3 warning for that occurrence
What occurs when T.O. CONFIG pushbutton is pressed?
- The system simulates the application of T.O power and checks certain systems for proper configuration
- A warning is displayed if a system is not configured properly
- "TO CONFIG NORMAL" is displayed in the TO MEMO section if the configuration is correct
What computers feed data to the six display units?
3 Display Management Computers
How can you tell if a DMC has failed?
"INVALID DATA" will be displayed in the respective EFIS/ECAM display units
If both the E/WD and SD display units fail, how can you display E/WD information?
Select the ECAM/ND switch to CAPT or F/O to transfer the E/WD to either ND
What indication does the E/WD provide for secondary failures?
Secondary failures are displayed on the lower right portion of teh E/WD and are preceded by an " * "
What does the display of T.O. INHIBIT or LDG INHIBIT indicate?
Most warnings and cautions are inhibited to avoid unnecessary distractions during critical phases of flight
When does the Landing Memo appear?
- Below 2000' RA
- Memo disappears after touchdown (80 knots)
What would the large red arrowheads indicate?
Pitch attitude of >30 degrees
What speed does Vmax represent and how is it displayed?
- It is the lowest of Vmo/Mmo, Vle, or Vfe
- Defined by the bottom of a red and black strip along the speed scale
Do the pilots use the Maintenance Panel?
Will the FCU Altitude window ever display dashes?
No. Pilot selected altitude will always be displayed.