Flashcards in J (starting from JUJU) + K + N + O (to end of O) Deck (35):
a style of music popular among the Yoruba in Nigeria and characterized by the use of guitars and variable-pitch drums.
a charm or fetish, esp. of a type used by some West African peoples.
• supernatural power attributed to such a charm or fetish: juju and witchcraft.
the official power to make legal decisions and judgments: federal courts had no jurisdiction over the case | the District of Columbia was placed under the jurisdiction of Congress.
• the extent of this power: the claim will be within the jurisdiction of the industrial tribunal.
• a system of law courts; a judicature: in some jurisdictions there is a mandatory death sentence for murder.
• the territory or sphere of activity over which the legal authority of a court or other institution extends: several different tax jurisdictions.
1 show or prove to be right or reasonable: the person appointed has fully justified our confidence.
• be a good reason for: the situation was grave enough to justify further investigation.
2 Theology declare or make righteous in the sight of God.
3 Printing adjust (a line of type or piece of text) so that the print fills a space evenly or forms a straight edge at one or both margins.
place or deal with close together for contrasting effect: black-and-white photos of slums were starkly juxtaposed with color images.
an unofficial court held by a group of people in order to try someone regarded, esp. without good evidence, as guilty of a crime or misdemeanor.
a form of entertainment, offered typically by bars and clubs, in which people take turns singing popular songs into a microphone over prerecorded backing tracks.
the longitudinal structure along the centerline at the bottom of a vessel's hull, on which the rest of the hull is built, in some vessels extended downward as a blade or ridge to increase stability.
• Zoology a ridge along the breastbone of many birds to which the flight muscles are attached; the carina.
• Botany a prow-shaped pair of petals present in flowers of the pea family.
• literary a ship.
verb [ no obj. ] (keel over)
(of a boat or ship) turn over on its side; capsize.
• informal (of a person or thing) fall over; collapse.
a flat-bottomed freight boat; a keelboat.
a small open-fronted hut or cubicle from which newspapers, refreshments, tickets, etc., are sold.
• a small structure in a public area used for providing information or displaying advertisements, often incorporating an interactive display screen or screens.
• (usu. telephone kiosk )Brit.a telephone booth.
• archaic (in Turkey and Iran) a light open pavilion or summerhouse.
a Muslim official or governor under the Mogul empire.
• a person of conspicuous wealth or high status.
• chiefly historical a person who returned from India to Europe with a fortune.
the use of economic, political, cultural, or other pressures to control or influence other countries, esp. former dependencies.
a newly coined word or expression.
• the coining or use of new words.
a user of the Internet, esp. a habitual or avid one.
ambiguous euphemistic language used chiefly in political propaganda.
looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, esp. in order to criticize unnecessarily: a nitpicking legalistic exercise.
such fault-finding: nitpicking over tiny details.
the devising or choosing of names for things, esp. in a science or other discipline.
• the body or system of such names in a particular field: the nomenclature of chemical compounds.
• formal the term or terms applied to someone or something: “customers” was preferred to the original nomenclature “passengers.”
not aligned with something else.
• (of countries) not aligned with a major power, esp. the former Soviet Union or the US.
the prevention of an increase or spread of something, esp. the number of countries possessing nuclear weapons: [ as modifier ] : a nuclear nonproliferation treaty.
harmful, poisonous, or very unpleasant: they were overcome by the noxious fumes.
(of fabric) coarse or knobbly in texture: upholstered in nubby blue cotton.
• stubby; lumpy: the nubby points of the new leaves.
a couple and their dependent children, regarded as a basic social unit.
1 a stone pillar, typically having a square or rectangular cross section and a pyramidal top, set up as a monument or landmark.
1 the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening: they drank themselves into oblivion.
• the state of being forgotten, esp. by the public: his name will fade into oblivion.
• extinction: only our armed forces stood between us and oblivion.
2 Law, historical amnesty or pardon.
not aware of or not concerned about what is happening around one: she became absorbed, oblivious to the passage of time | the women were oblivious of his presence.
having an elongated shape, as a rectangle or an oval.
an object or flat figure in this shape.
become noticeable in an unwelcome or intrusive way: a sound from the reception hall obtruded into his thoughts.
• [ with obj. ] impose or force (something) on someone in such a way: I felt unable to obtrude my private sorrow upon anyone.
a Greek epic poem traditionally ascribed to Homer, describing the travels of Odysseus during his ten years of wandering after the fall of Troy. He eventually returned home to Ithaca and killed the suitors who had plagued his wife Penelope during his absence.
• (odyssey) a long and eventful or adventurous journey or experience: his odyssey from military man to politician.
annoyingly enthusiastic in offering help or advice; interfering
of or relating to the sense of smell: the olfactory organs.
knowing everything: the story is told by an omniscient narrator.
great wealth or luxuriousness: rooms of spectacular opulence.
a spherical body; a globe.
1 arrange or score (music) for orchestral performance.
2 arrange or direct the elements of (a situation) to produce a desired effect, esp. surreptitiously: the developers were able to orchestrate a favorable media campaign.
of or relating to kissing
turn into bone or bony tissue: these tracheal cartilages may ossify.