Flashcards in C1 Deck (31):
a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place: an arms cache | a cache of gold coins.
• a hidden or inaccessible storage place for valuables, provisions, or ammunition.
• (also cache memory )Computing an auxiliary memory from which high-speed retrieval is possible.
a harsh, discordant mixture of sounds: a cacophony of deafening alarm bells
of or connected with Julius Caesar or the Caesars.
the quality of someone's character or the level of someone's ability: they could ill afford to lose a man of his caliber.
mark (a gauge or instrument) with a standard scale of readings.
decorative handwriting or handwritten lettering.
• the art of producing decorative handwriting or lettering with a pen or brush.
a large branched candlestick or holder for several candles or lamps.
verb [ with obj. ]
1 use (a machine) as a source of spare parts for another, similar machine. cannibalizing two broken-down cars might provide spare parts to make one working car. figurative : high culture should cannibalize mass culture.
• (of a company) reduce the sales of (one of its products) by introducing another similar product.
2 (of an animal) eat (an animal of its own kind): female spiders cannibalize courting males.
an open-topped glass flask typically used for serving wine or water.
the dead body of an animal.
• the trunk of an animal such as a cow, sheep, or pig, for cutting up as meat.
• the remains of a cooked bird after all the edible parts have been removed.
• derogatory or humorous a person's body, living or dead: my obsession will last while there's life in this old carcass.
• the structural framework of a building, ship, or piece of furniture.
• the remains of something being discarded, dismembered, or worthless: the floor is littered with the carcasses of newspapers.
a leading dignitary of the Roman Catholic Church
type of a bird
the branch of medicine that deals with diseases and abnormalities of the heart.
a person who cheats at cards in order to win money.
a picture, description, or imitation of a person or thing in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect: a caricature of Jimmy Durante | there are elements of caricature in the portrayal of the hero.
the killing of a large number of people.
a person who casts something or a machine for casting something.
2 Fishing a fly pupa used as bait.
3 each of a set of small wheels, free to swivel in any direction, fixed to the legs or base of a heavy piece of furniture so that it can be moved easily.
• the angular inclination of a steering pivot or kingpin, esp. that of the front wheel of a vehicle.
4 a small container with holes in the top, esp. one used for sprinkling sugar or pepper.
an underground cemetery consisting of a subterranean gallery with recesses for tombs, as constructed by the ancient Romans.
• an underground construction resembling or compared to such a cemetery.
a short, light sleep; a doze.
like a cavern in size, shape, or atmosphere: a cavernous warehouse.
• giving the impression of vast, dark depths: his cavernous eyes.
moving or tending to move away from a center. The opposite of centripetal.
a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill; a fraud.
a personal possession or property that is movable
verb [ no obj. ]
(typically of a small bird or an insect) utter a short, sharp, high-pitched sound: outside, the crickets chirped monotonously.
• [ with direct speech ] (of a person) say something in a lively and cheerful way: “Good morning!” chirped Alex.
a short, sharp, high-pitched sound.
compose the sequence of steps and moves for (a performance of dance or ice skating): he is now choreographing a ballet.
• plan and control (an event or operation): the committee choreographs the movement of troops.
laugh in a breathy, gleeful way; chuckle
breathy, gleeful laugh
a secret or disguised way of writing; a code:
zero, a person or thing of no importance,
of or relating to the circulation of blood or sap.
a fortress, typically on high ground, protecting or dominating a city.
a lawsuit filed or defended by an individual or small group acting on behalf of a large group.