Flashcards in L12, Tools for communication of customer needs and requirements Deck (20)
Why is it important with tools for communication of customer needs and requirements?
1. Tools provide support to compile and present all data from primary and secondary sources
2. Transformation of inhomogeneous data into a format that customers and other stakeholder can validate
3. Support to select appropriate methods for subsequent development activities
4. Support to select appropriate methods for subsequent development activities
5. support to maintain user focus
6. a direction for the full idea generation
7. input to the full requirements specification
8. Criteria for evaluation of solution proposals
—> subsequently for justification as well
To whom should one communicate?
What different methods and tools can be used?
1. problem formulations
2. Mission statements
3. lists of customer needs
4. target specifications
5. requirement specifications
6. Problem-cause diagrams
CHARACTERISATION OF USER
7. Image boards
10. Story boards
11. Use cases
13. Concept descriptions
14. context description
16. Fake promotion brochures
How is the Problem formulated and what questions should be asked?
The task may be pre-defined by a business customer, or may have its origin in your own or your own team's experiences
1. Where and when is this problem relevant?
2. How does it happen?
3. What are the specific challenges ni the context of the problem?
4. Who could be the customer or user of a solution for the problem?
What is a mission statement?
A mission statement summarizes the direction to be followed by the development team.
1. Product description
2. Benefit proposition
3. key business goals
4. Primary market
5. secondary market
6. assumptions and constraints
What is a customer needs list?
— A list of customer needs summarizes issues of interest to the customers and possibly their relative importance as well.
— The needs are typically expressed in the "language of the customer"
what is an image board?
An image board is a collage of images that aim at presenting a context, a culture or reference objects
What is a mood board?
— A mood board is a collage of materials that describes the mood or feeling of a context or an envisioned design
—> samples of materials
— Mainly designers but also other skills utilize mood boards in concept development for communicating different styles and characteristics to others involved in the process
What is a persona?
A persona depicts an envisioned user of the customer.
1. A persona is an archetype
2. The persona may be typical, critical or desirable
3. Having many personas at hand, their diversity may also represent costumers' different needs
1. Characterizing title
—> age, work, hobbies, lifestyle
—> young, sex, income
4. Customer needs
What is a scenario description?
1. Typically includes story statements and actors.
2. A persona is an appropriate ingredient in setting up a scenario.
3. The scenario can be completed with envisioned user needs, product features and user behaviors
The scenario could include:
1. Background story
3. Scenario stories
4. User needs
5. Product features
6. Anticipated behavior
What is stories?
Could be e.g.
1. comic strips including sequence of events
2. or e.g. assembly manuals use this kind of steps and stories
How can games be used in this context?
— Games can be used to model, experience and communicate customers' needs and context
— Actions and processes can be visualized an better understood
Modeling of games?
1. Actors and stakeholder
2. Effects referring to operations
—> what really happens
4. Information, goods, access, capital and their flows
6. support technology
In what way could concept descriptions be used?
— A concept description could can also be used to understand and communicate customer needs and requirements
— It can be about an existing, in-process or proposed concept
In what ways could context descriptions be used?
— A faked context description is another way for envisioning, understanding and communicating customer requirements
— A real context description is also a way for envisioning, understanding and communicating customer requirements.
—> it constitutes a workbench for continually supporting the development of the project and the content
Why is mock-ups useful?
1. To be able to see och test thing in reality
2. e.g. ergonomics or user interface
What different communication elements and styles could be used?
4. qualitative statements
5. Quantitative statements
—> stats and numbers
reflection regarding communication elements and styles?
1. Quantitative information usually make great impact
2. For qualitative information the way of presentation is extra important
3. information that way seem superfluous can be important to get the whole picture
4. Choose representative and illustrative examples
—> if extreme examples are being used, be clear with this
The three most important points with regards tools for communication of customer needs and requirements?
1. Tools for communication of customer needs requirements provide support to compile data into useful formats
2. Tools for communication pave the way for an efficient product development process while keeping the intent and user needs in the foreground
3. Many methods exist an can be combined to match the task at hand