Flashcards in Lecture 3 - Part 2 Deck (6)
What are the historical origins of global health?
1. Missionary medicine
2. Humanitarian medicine
3. Tropical medicine
4. International health
Describe 'short term experiences'
1. Opportunities in response to interest
2. 2-4week trips
3. Many “providers” and sometimes hard to distinguish the good from the bad
4. Can be falsely viewed as little harm
5. Usually focused on the education and training of the participant including: exposure to diseases uncommon in HIC settings, and increased clinical/research acumen
What are some of the issues with short term global health experiences? (4)
1. Suboptimal use of time and resources 2.Harm the host community/individuals 3.Create dependencies
4. Perpetuate global health inequities
What do we need to change the focus of student placements to?
Change from focusing on trainees experience to effectively addressing the agenda of host communities
What are the guidelines that should be considered to guide the ethical development of short term global health experiences?
1. skills building in cross-cultural effectiveness and cultural humility
2. bidirectional participatory relationships
3. local capacity building
4. long-term sustainability