Flashcards in M4 5.56 Deck (17):
What is the FM concerning the M4 Rifle?
What is the first thing you should do when you handle a weapon?
Make sure you clear it
Name the five phases in Basic Rifle Marksmanship.
1. Preliminary Rifle Instruction2. Downrange Feedback3. Field Fire4. Advanced Rifle Marksmanship5. Advanced Optics, Laser and Iron Sights
What are the steps required in order to mechanically zero the M4?
1. Adjust the front sight post (1) up or down until the base of the front sight post is flush with the front sight post housing (2).2. Adjust the elevation knob (3) counterclockwise, when viewed from above, until the rear sight assembly (4) rests flush with the detachable carrying handle and the 6/3marking is aligned with the index line (5) on the left side of the carrying handle.3. Position the apertures(6) so the unmarked aperture is up and the 0-200 meter aperture is down. Rotate the windage knob (7) to align the index mark (8) on the 0-200 meter aperture with the long center index line on the rear sight assembly.
What are the steps required in order to battle sight zero the M4?
1. Adjust the elevation knob (1) counterclockwise, when viewed from above, until the rear sight assembly (2) rests flush with the detachable carrying handle and the 6/3marking is aligned with the index line (3) on the left side of the detachable carrying handle. The elevation knob remains flush.2. Position the apertures(4) so the unmarked aperture is up and the 0-200 meter aperture is down. Rotate the windage knob (5) to align the index mark (6) on the 0-200 meter aperture with the long center index line on the rear sight assembly
Describe the M4 Rifle.
A 5.56 mm, magazine fed, gas-operated, air-cooled, semiautomatic or three-round burst, hand-held, shoulder-fired weapon.
at are the 7 types of ammunition that can be used with the M4 Rifle?
1. M193 – Ball2. M196 – Trace3. M199 – Dummy4. M200 – Blank (Violet tip and 7 petal rose crimp)5. M855 – Ball (Green Tip)6. M856 – Tracer (Red Tip)7. M862 – Short Range Training Ammunition (Plastic with a Blue Tip)
Describe the weights of the M4 Rifle without mgazine and sling, with sling and loaded 20 round magazine and with sling and loaded 30 round magazine.
Without Magazine and Sling - 6.49 poundsWith Sling and a loaded 20 round magazine - 7.19 poundsWith Sling and a loaded 30 round magazine - 7.50 pounds
Describe the max effective rates of fire for the M4 Rifle.
Semiautomatic - 45 rounds per minuteBurst - 90 rounds per minuteSustained - 12-15 rounds per minute
What is the muzzle velocity of the M4 Rifle?
2,970feet per second
Describe the ranges for the M4 Rifle.
Maximum Range - 3,600 metersMax Effective Range for a Point Target - 500 metersMax Effective Range for an Area Target - 600 meters
What is the basic load of ammunition for the M4?
210 Rounds total. (7 magazines with 30 rounds in each)
The elevation knob adjusts the point of aim for the M4 Rifle how much?
300 to 600 meters
What are the four positions for the buttstock of the M4 Rifle?
1. Closed2. 1/2 Open3. 3/4 Open4. Full Open
What part of the M4 Rail Adapter System may be removed to perform PMCS?
Only the Lower Assembly
Describe the procedures for clearing the M4 Rifle.
Point the muzzle in a designated SAFE DIRECTION. Attempt to place selector lever on SAFE. If weapon is not cocked, lever cannot be placed on SAFE.Remove the magazine by depressing the magazine catch button and pulling the magazine down.To lock bolt open, pull charging handle rearward. Press bottom of bolt catch and allow bolt to move forward until it engages bolt catch. Return charging handle to full forward position. If you have not done so before, place the selector lever on SAFE.Visually (not physically) inspect the receiver and chamber to ensure these areas contain no ammo.With the select or lever pointing toward SAFE, allow the bolt to go forward by pressing the upper portion of the bolt catch.Place the select or lever on SEMI and squeeze the trigger.Pull the charging handle fully rearward and release it, allowing the bolt to return to the full forward position.Place the select or lever on SAFE.Close the ejection port cover.