Flashcards in Matsuzawa (2003) Deck (39)
What is the significance of Imo?
-evidence of cultural propagation of sweet potato washing behavior
Who is Ai? What are her skills?
-chimpanzee Matsuzawa studied for more than 2 decades
-multitude of skills, including visual symbols
What is the Ai project's aim?
-clarify aspects of the cimpanzee mind within social contexts, focusing specifically on the emergence, modification, and cross generational transfer of cultural traditions in chimpanzee communities
How many study facilities does the Ai project have?
-2: one in the wild and on in the lab
What did Imanishi discover in his study of wild Japanese monkeys in 1948?
-characterized evolution as the noncompetitive coexistence of various kinds of organisms as a whole
What were the most important findings of Imanishi's study (1948)?
1. monkeys lived in community called a "troop" that consisted of multiple males and multiple females and moved from place to place as a whole
2. matrilineal society; females remain in their natal group
3. neighboring communities were separate, exclusive entities
4. members of the group were ranked according to their standing in society
5. monkeys had a set of distinctive vocalizations
What is Kawamura's law?
some individuals were dominant while in the same matrilineal family, the youngest individual was more dominant than the other siblings
What was the target of Imanshi's (1948) study?
unravel the social structure of wild Japanese monkeys => seeking evolutionary origins of human society
What were the two main channels of cultural propagation in Imanshi's (1948) study?
2. playmate relations
Is there a critical period for learning SPW? If so, what is it?
yes; 2-5 years
True/False: Behaviors of SPW have been transmitted to the descendents of Imo's group and family.
What is Matsuzawa's "own niche of research"?
the study of the chimpanzee's mind rather than society
By the second half of the 1970s, three successful and different approaches had been devised to explore the linguistic skills of chimpanzees. What were these three projects?
2. Plastic Sign Language
3. Computer-controlled lexigram system
What were the two questions Matsuzawa asked in reference to the visual world of NHPs?
1. How do chimpanzees see the world?
2. Do they perceive it like we do?
What was the Matsuzawa's goal with the Ai project?
study the acquisition process of an artificial language and the corresponding brain mechanisms
What did Matsuzawa want to focus on with his project?
"the perceptual and cognitive basis of language-like skills" mastered by the chimpanzees
What approach did Matsuzawa adopt?
computer controlled lexigram system developed by Rumbaugh and colleagues
What were the three factors that influenced Matsuzawa's approach to the project?
1. already established sophisticated computer-controlled experiments involving various visual discrimination learning tasks in monkeys
2. aimed to clarify the acquisition process or underlying perceptual capabilities of language-like skills, which mean that they needed very objective, precise, and detailed records of what we had done and how the chimps behaved
3. project had a perspective for future applications of techniques from brain science; hoped subjects would sit quietly on a bench facing the computer system
How did Matsuzawa understand Lana's computer performance? How did this influence what they were hoping to investigate?
-Lana's computer performance seemed to be a sequence of visual discrimination tasks similar to that seen in monkeys
-investigate how specific visual symbols such as those representing objects, colors, etc. could be established in chimpanzees
(True/False): When Ai manipulated the keyboard, there was direct interaction between the chimpanzee and the human tester.
False; no direct interaction
What method did they use for shaping the key touch behavior with Ai?
"successive approximation" ; reward until step by step the chimp began to approach the key and then eventually press it
Throughout the later stages, the Ai project was characterized by what?
highly automated computer-controlled system without any social interaction during the tests
What was the general procedure for the keyboard tests with Ai?
Ai became the first chimpanzee who learned to use _____ ______ to represent quantities
Describe the chronological development of data through the Ai project.
color perception -> shape perception and visual acuity -> recognition of numbers
What was the original paradigm of the Ai project?
test single subjects (both humans and chimpanzees participated) facing a computer terminal under identical conditions and using the same apparatus and procedure
Bossou chimpanzees used ________ as hammer and anvil to crack open oil-palm nuts
a pair of stones
What five types of tool use are used by Bossou chimpanzees?
1. nut cracking with stones
2. pestle-pounding of oil palm trees
3. algae scooping with a stick
4. ant dipping using a wand
5. use of leaves for drinking water
Chimpanzees were found to transport not only nuts but also _____ ____, demonstrating a rudimentary form of possession of particular stone tools