Flashcards in Misc Questions pt. 1 Deck (27):
Loss of ability to understand or express speech, caused by brain damage
Inability to perform particular purposive actions, due to brain damage.
Patient in a permanent vegetative state only needs a feeding tube, why??
Because the brainstem, the center of vegetative functions (such as heart rate and rhythm, respiration, and gastrointestinal activity) is relatively intact
Heart failure cells are ....
Macrophages with phagocytized RBC in the alveoli. Occurs in pulmonary edema due to heart failure
Status asthmaticus is .......
severe asthma, not relieved by normal measure & needs hospitalization.
* There is severe acidosis & death. Treated by epinephrine
Nitrous oxide is safe for asthmatic patients. T/F??
True. Especially if asthma is triggered by anxiety
What is the greatest cause for COPD
Kyphosis is ......
also called roundback or Kelso's hunchback, is a condition of over-curvature of the thoracic vertebrae
What are the two basic problems found in emphysema?
1. Difficulty to exhale
2. Decreased gas exchange
Reid index is ......
ratio of mucous gland thickness: bronchial wall thickness
Pneumoconiosis caused by inhalation of cotton particles
Sarcoidosis is ...
non caseating granulomas in eyes, lymphnodes, skin, but mostly in lungs for unknown cause
* May heal on its own, or may progress to cause organ damage
Epidural hematoma occurs with head injury more than subdural hematoma. T/F??
Subdural occurs in 15% of head traumas
* Subdural hemorrhage may occur due to shearing injury, while epidural is due to tearing
Patients with mysthenia gravis have high risk of developing the following autoimmune disorders . .....
Thymoma is ......, characterized by .......
and is associated with ......
tumor of the thymus
* Characterized by dyspnea (secondary to pressure on the trachea), engorgement of neck vessels (second to pressure on the SVC)
* It is associated with mysthenia gravis
Prostate cancer is the second most common after ....
* Although more common than lung cancer, mortality of prostatic cancer is less that that of the lung
Patient complaining of wrist drop with no radial nerve damage may suggest ......
Charcoat triad is
clinical presentation of cholangitis
* There is right upper quadrant pain, fever, jaundice
Desmoid tumors are .........
Tumors originated from fibroblasts
* Some of these are aggressive (aggressive fibromatosis), but they don't metastasize
Brown tumors are the classic signs of ......
hyperparathyroidism (osteitis fibrosa cystica)
Freckles are caused by increased melanin deposition in ......
basal layer of epidermis
Vitiligo is caused by ......
melanocytes deficiency in the skin
Nevus cells are .......
variant of melanocyte (they are bigger, no dendrites, more cytoplasm with coarse granules)
* Located at the dermoepidermal junction, or the dermis
What is the effect of cirrhosis on estrogen metabolism??
Estrogen metabolism disturbance causes hypogonadism, amenorrhea, gynecomastia in men, spider angioma & palmar erythema
What is the difference between a nodule and a papule
What is the difference between a vesicle and a bulla?
* Papule is less than 1 cm in diameter, while a Nodule is more than 1 cm in diameter
* A vesicle is less than 1 cm, a bulla is more
Lentigo Maligna is .......