What does the multi functions display allow aircrew to do?
View information by any one or combination of the aircraft systems.
What 3 main types of information do the MFDs display?
1) Aircraft system
3) Weather information
What is a Light Emitting Diode (LED) display?
- A semiconductor device that emits visible light when an electric current passes through it.
- Each LED normally uses one color and is not particularly bright.
What is a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD)?
These are not light emitters but are backlit.
What is the Active Matrix LCD (AMLCD)?
- Also known as thin film transistor.
- Each pixel is controlled by a switch-device which actively maintains the pixel state while other pixels are being addressed.
- Must use a backlighting source
- Used by F-35A
What is a plasma display?
- An electrical discharge is used in a gas to produce the light.
- The benefit of plasma displays is their brightness and wide viewing angle.
What is an electroluminescent display?
Consists of a layer of phosphor, sandwiched between two electrodes, which glows when an electrical field is applied to it.
What does the system detection functionality give the pilot the ability to do?
- Detect a fault in a system from the main screen
- Select the faulty system for specific data on the fault
Can the MFDs display video? What types of things can be seen?
- Flying surfaces, undercarriage position, icing build-up.
What do data buses allow MFDs to do?
Control the distribution of data between the avionics devices that are all connected to a common data bus bar.
What is a common method of encoding information in electronic displays ?
Through the use of symbols and icons.
What colours are warnings generally used in?
What colours are flight envelope and critical parameters lists in?
What colour are cautions/abnormal sources in?
What colour is Earth?
What colour are scales and associated figures?
What colour are engaged modes?
What colour is the sky?
What colour is the instrument landing systems (ILS)?
What colour are the light direction bars?
Magenta or green