Flashcards in Period 6: Globalization Deck (8):
What was the Persian Gulf War?
- Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990 under the leadership of Saddam Hussein because Iraq wanted to gain control of more oil reserves
- the UN (particularly the US) sent forces to drive the Iraqis out of Kuwait in 1991
- liberated Kuwait and humiliated Iraq
- Iraq was subjected to UN monitoring, limitations on military activities, and economic sanctions
Who was Nur Muhammad Taraki?
- Marxist military leader of Afghanistan
- engineered a military coup against the previous Afghan government
- requested for the USSR to send troops to Afghanistan during the early 1980s
What happened as a result of the entering of Soviet troops to Afghanistan?
- many Afghans opposed communism and Soviet intervention, leading to a massive civil war
- resistors had Western weapons and launched guerilla attacks against the Soviets
- Mikhail Gorbachev agreed to withdraw Soviet troops when internal problems escalated in the USSR and a peace accord was signed
Who are the Taliban?
- an Islamic fundamentalist regime
- captured Afghanistan's capital of Kabul in 1996
- imposed strict Islamic law and severe restrictions on women
- provided safe haven for Osama bin Laden
Who was Osama bin Laden?
- the Saudi leader of an international terrorist network known as Al Qaeda
- died in 2011
Why does Al Qaeda dislike Saudi Arabia?
- ruling family was too cozy with the US
- allowed US troops to remain in the country since the Persian Gulf War, leading to the presence of infidels in a kingdom home to Islam's most holy sites
Why does Al Qaeda despise the US?
- the US supports Israel and Al Qaeda wants Israel removed from the planet
- the US has troops stationed in Saudi Arabia
- the US is the primary agent of globalization which Al Qaeda believes is infecting Islamic culture