Flashcards in Plate Tectonics And Effects Of Plate Movement Deck (7)
What is the Theory of Plate Tectonics?
All of the earth's continents were once joined together as a super-continent
What is the super-continent called?
What helps support the continental drift?
1. Seafloor spreading
- seafloor is constantly breaking apart
- lava comes up
- extrusive rock hardens expanding the plates
2. "Puzzle Piece" argument
3. Fossil records
- organisms only existing in regions that used to touch
Ex. East coast of South America & West Coast of Africa
What do shifting plates cause?
3. Mountain building
What are the three types of plate movements?
Ex. common in mountains
- plates push together causing plates to go under other plates
* reason we see various heights of mountain ranges
- go apart
Ex. Atlantic sea floor
- plates sliding past one another
Where is the "Ring of Fire" located?
In the Pacific Ocean
** Pacific Plate
- causes a lot of earthquakes in the western US and eastern Asia