Flashcards in Cells Deck (13)
What makes up animal cells?
1. Nucleus - brain
2. Mitochondria - powerhouse
3. Ribosomes - creates proteins assists in communication between cells
4. Cytoplasm - goo inside cell membrane - organelles float here
5. Cell membrane - holds everything in
What does the nucleus house?
- deoxyribonucleic acid
- chromosomes • genetic blueprint of the cell • used when reproducing
What is the mitochondria?
Carbs & ATP to become energy
What do ribosomes do?
RNA - ribonucleic acid
to make proteins
What is selectively permeable?
It picks what to let
in - food/oxygen
out - waste product
What makes up plant cells?
All of the animals cells
As well as:
1. Vacuole - large storage container for fluid or moving the cell through contraction
2. Chloroplast - holds chemical chlorophyll • gives plants green color •
Key component of photosynthesis
3. Cell wall - outside the cell membrane, protecting the cell
Plants don't need skeletons like humans b/c of this cell wall
What is mitosis?
What are the phases?
Ex. Growth, healing
What is the prophase of mitosis?
Genetic material •chromosomes• duplicate
What is the metaphase of mitosis?
The duplicated genetic material from prophase lines up along the center line
Spindle begins to grow and will eventually be cut into two cells by the equatorial line
What is anaphase in mitosis?
Cells begins to split
1. Genetic material moves far away from the equatorial line
What is telephase in mitosis?
The cell is completely split into two child cells
* after interphase diploid cells can begin splitting into more cells *
What are diploid cells?
Having a pair of chromosomes