Flashcards in The Sun, Solar System, & Galaxy Deck (11)
What begins as huge clouds of dust and other particles?
As a nebula contracts, what happens to the particles?
1. Particles collide with colossal force
2. Igniting a nuclear reaction and forming a protostar
When a protostar transforms into an adult star, what happens to the star and its fuel?
The star converts its fuel into more massive elements and compounds and becomes denser
* star's own gravity is pulling in *
* star is also pushing out *
When the gravity pushing on the star overpowers the outward push of the star what happens? What can it become and why?
The star collapses
Based on mass & other factors becomes either:
1. Brown dwarf - fizzled out
2. White dwarf
3. Neutron star
4. Nova - star exploded all over galaxy
5. Black hole - pulling light & trapping it
What is the solar system made up of?
Due to what?
What are the planets & other objects?
Numerous bodies which orbit the sun due to centrifugal force
Other objects include:
What is centrifugal force?
The balance between
inertia- wants to continue in a straight line indefinitely a pull the body away from the sun
gravity - wants to pull the star or body towards the sun
What do they call Jupiter & Saturn?
What do they have special?
What are asteroids, comets, & meteors?
1. Asteroids - chunks of rock orbiting in a belt around the solar system
2. Comets - chunks of ice and rock
Comet tail - ice breaking away
3. Meteors - chunks of rock that strike a planet
** usually meteors burn up in the atmosphere (shooting star)
Why does the moon have many more craters than earth?
The moon has no atmosphere, so the meteors crash right into it
**cannot burn up**
What is a galaxy?
What is our galaxy and what is its shape?
1. Galaxies are huge clusters of billions of stars
2. The Milky Way galaxy is shaped like a spiral disk with several long arms