Flashcards in Representation theorists Deck (6)
-Colonial discourses continue to inform contemporary attitudes to race and ethnicity in the modern era
- 'Civilisationism' constructs racial hierarchies and sets up binary oppositions based of 'otherness'
-Identity is constructed by the 'expressions' of that identity
-There is no gender identity behind the expressions of gender
-Gender performance is not a singular act but a repetition of acts and a 'ritual'
-Feminism is a struggle to end patriarchy and the ideology of domination
-Feminism is a political commitment, not a lifestyle choice.
-Race and class also determine the extent to which individuals are exploited and discriminated against
Liesbet van Zoonen
- Gender is constructed through discourse and this varies according to historical and cultural contexts.
- Women's bodies as 'objects' is a core element of western culture
-the media language that constructs men's bodies is different to that which objectifies women.
- the media provides us with 'tools' or resources that we use to construct our identities.
- In the past media conveyed simplistic messages about male and female identities. Now the media offers a more diverse range of representations that we may choose to help us construct our identities.