Research Methods: Statistical Testing Flashcards Preview

Psychology > Research Methods: Statistical Testing > Flashcards

Flashcards in Research Methods: Statistical Testing Deck (7):
1

Define probability.

a strong likelihood or chance of something.

2

What is the significance level?

this is the level at which the researcher decides to reject the null hypothesis and accept the H1 or vice versa.

3

What is the usual level of significance?

5%

4

In psychology explain what probability being under 0.05 means.

we need to be 95% certain that the IV caused the DV and the other 5%is that the observed effect is due to chance.

5

What is an observed/calculated value?

a value that represents the data set from an experiment achieved by carrying out a statistical test.

6

What is a critical value?

taken from a published statistical value which, when compared with an observed value, shows whether the results are significant or not.

7

What is the criteria for doing a sign test?

we need to be looking for a difference between two conditions rather than an association

we need to have used a repeated measures design

we need data that is organised into categories known as nominal data.