Flashcards in Stage 26 Deck (29):
accūsō, accūsāre, accūsāvī, accūsātum
1. I blame, reproach, make a complaint against, find fault with.
2. (law) I indict, **accuse**, arraign, charge with a crime.
auferō, auferre, abstulī, ablātum
1. I **take away**, carry off, remove, withdraw; separate, sever, divide.
2. I take or snatch away, take by force or violently, abduct, rob, **steal**, snatch.
3. I bear, carry, waft or sweep away.
4. I carry away, mislead, deceive.
5. I banish, dispel.
6. I take off or away, destroy, kill, slay, consume.
7. I cease from, desist from, leave off.
8. I obtain, gain, get, receive, acquire.
bellum, bellī, n.
gerō, gerere, gessī, gestum
1. I carry, bear
2. **I wear (i.e. have on clothing)**
3. I have or possess (of traits)
4. I carry (on), conduct, **wage**
cohors, cohortis, f.
1. a court
2. a farmyard or enclosure
3. a retinue
4. a circle or crowd
5. **a cohort; tenth part of a legion**
6. a band or armed force
7. a ship's crew
8. a bodyguard
9. a military unit of 500 men
colligō, colligere, collēgī, collēctum
1. I **gather, draw, bring or collect (together)**, assemble, pick up; contract, draw up, compress, concentrate; harvest.
2. I make thick, thicken; bind or mass together.
3. I get, gain, acquire, produce, collect.
4. I think upon, weigh, consider; deduce, conclude, infer, gather.
5. (in a reflexive sense) I collect or compose myself, recover my courage or resolution.
6. (of a number, chiefly a distance) I amount or come to, extend; am reckoned (in a passive sense).
commōtus, commōta, commōtum
1. **moved, excited, upset**
doceō, docēre, docuī, doctum
1. **I teach, instruct**; tell, inform; show, demonstrate.
facinus, facinoris, N.
1. **deed, action**
2. **esp. crime**, wickedness, evil deed.
falsus, falsa, falsum
1. **false, untrue, dishonest**
fidēs, fideī, f.
1. faith, belief
2. **reliance, loyalty, trustworthiness**
3. confidence, trust
īnsānus, īnsāna, īnsānum
1. mad, **insane, crazy**, demented
īnstruō, īnstruere, īnstrūxī, īnstrūctum
1. I build in or into, insert; erect, construct.
2. I arrange, organise or organize, plan; devise.
3. I prepare (for), provide (for), make ready, set up, furnish, provide, equip, fit out, procure.
4. I provide with information, teach, inform, instruct.
5. **(military) I draw up (in battle formation)**, array, set in order, form.
lēgātus, lēgātī, m.
1. An envoy, ambassador, legate
2. **A Commander**
1. (in a direct question) a particle expecting a negation
2. **(in an indirect question) whether (+ subjunctive)**
occupō, occupāre, occupāvī, occupātum
1. I occupy, fill, take up.
2. **I seize, invade, take possession of**.
3. I anticipate, make the first move.
4. I employ, make use of.
oportet, oportēre, oportuit. (impersonal)
1. (with accusative) **it is necessary, proper, becoming**; it behooves.
perfidia, perfidiae, f.
1. faithlessness, dishonesty, **treachery**, falsehood, perfidy
praebeō, praebēre, praebuī, praebitum
1. I proffer.
2. I **provide**, grant, service.
prīncipium, prīncipiī, n.
1. a beginning, an origin
2. a groundwork, a foundation
3. (plural) the elements, the first principles
4. **(military, plural) the front ranks, camp headquarters**
prōvincia, prōvinciae, f.
1. **province**, office, duty, command
1. **how many**
referō, referre, rettulī, relātum
1. I bear, **bring, drive or carry back, deliver**
2. I give back, give up, return, restore, pay back, repay.
3. (of sound) I bring back, return, answer, echo.
4. I bring back, restore, renew, revive, repeat.
5. I say in return, respond, reply, answer.
6. I repeat, report, announce, relate, recount, tell, say
7. I make known officially, report, announce, notify, proclaim.
rēgnum, rēgnī, n.
1. royal power, power, control, **kingdom**, reign
2. kingship, royalty
saevus, saeva, saevum
1. Furious, ferocious, fierce, violent, barbarous, **cruel, savage**.
sānē, sānius, sānissimē
1. soundly, healthily, well
2. soberly, sensibly, reasonably, discreetly
3. (by extension) truly, certainly, **obviously**, right, really; quite, very
1. **if, supposing that**
tribūnus, tribūnī, m.
1. commander, **tribune (high-ranking officer)**