Flashcards in Therapy Deck (19):
What is psychoanalytic therapy?
talk therapy. psychological intervention designed to help people resolve emotional, behavioral, and interpersonal problems
What is humanistic therapy?
Emphasizes realization of human potential
What are important qualities of Rogers’s person-centered therapy (e.g., nondirective)?
- Unconditional positive regard
What is exposure therapy?
confronts clients with what they fear
replace fear and stimulus with relaxation and stimulus
- "I'm afraid of planes, but my child is getting married in Australia"
What is flooding?
client confronts the feared stimulus all at once
-snake phobia so my therapist is gonna "flood" me. He'll put me in a room with lots of snakes and lock me in a room. Eventually, I will learn that I am okay.
What is systematic desensitization?
relax as they are gradually exposed to what they fear (Peter, Rabbit, and Cookie)
What is a token economy?
desirable behaviors are rewarded with tokens that patients can exchange for tangible rewards
What is cognitive therapy?
- Focuses on thought processes that underlie psychological symptoms
- Aaron Beck – automatic thoughts
- Therapist questions patient’s distorted assumptions and beliefs
What is cognitive-behavioral therapy?
- Combination of cognitive and behavior therapies
- Identifies automatic thoughts
- Focus on changing thoughts and behavior
Is psychotherapy effective?
- 75% people say yes
-All forms more effective than no therapy
- Efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapy better established than other forms
Drug therapies (Schizophrenia)
Very effective for positive symptoms
Drug therapies (Anxiety)
- anti-anxiety medications (GABA agonists)
- Useful for short-term – calm jittery feelings, relax muscles
Drug therapies (Depression)
- antidepressant medications
- Most common – selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
Drug therapies (Bipolar disorder)
mood stabilizer – lithium
What is electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)?
- brief burst of electric current to induce seizure in brain
- More effective than antidepressant drugs
- Side effect – memory loss
What is dream interpretation?
Therapist focuses on unconscious symbols in dreams
What is free association?
speak freely. Get to unconscious thoughts, past the "think before we speak" filter
What is behavioral therapy?
uses principles of learning and conditioning