What is the general FIR conspicuity code in the UK?
used in Class G and E (for VFR)
FIR lost (contact 121.5)
What is the en-route emergency frequency?
243MHz for military
Selected Helicopter Flight
Helicopter Pipeline/powerline survey
Royal Flight Helicopter
What is the squawk code for Circuits?
What is the accuracy and max range of an NDB?
• Bearing accuracy is to within 5° (ideal conditions) but can be downgraded.
• Maximum promulgated range in UK is 50 nm
What is the accuracy of a VOR?
• Accuracy is plus or minus 2º in the UK
• Spaced between 50nm and 100nms apart to ensure low level coverage.
• A rationalisation plan is in progress to reduce the number of VORs. This is consistent with the attitude to these facilities in much of the world.
What is the future for NDBs in the UK?
Withdrawal of En-Route NDBs
• Removal of the 10 NERL operated NDBs commenced 2010.
• The remaining NERL NDBs are scheduled to be withdrawn as follows:
• 2016 – New Galloway (NGY)
• 2017 – Whitegate (WHI)
• 2019 – Burnham (BUR), Chiltern (CHT), Epsom (EPM) & Westcott (WCO)
• 2020 – Henton (HEN) & Woodley (WOD)
What is the future of VOR?
A rationalisation plan is in progress to reduce the number of VORs. This is consistent with the attitude to these facilities in much of the world.
• UK rationalising VOR use by downgrading from 46 VORs to just 19.(more reliance on GPS)
• The current plan for future withdrawals is as follows:
• 2017 – Gamstom (GAM), Manchester (MCT), Trent (TNT), Daventry (DTY) & Dover (DVR).
• 2018 – Goodwood (GWC), Lydd (LYD), Bovingdon (BNN), Ockham (OCK) & Barkway (BKY) •
• 2019 – Detling (DET), London (LON), Brookmans Park (BPK), Lambourne (LAM) & Biggin Hill (BIG). •
• 2020 – Mayfield (MAY), Midhurst (MID), Southampton (SAM) & Brecon (BCN)
• The VOR rationalisation plan will also involve the replacement of equipment at the 19 sites identified for retention and this replacement programme will require each site to be taken out of service for between 2 and 3 months.
• NOTAMs are sent out regularly with the information, together with CAA safety notices.
What is the accuracy of an DME?
• Accurate to within 1nm
• Can accept up to 100 aircraft interrogations simultaneously
• Subject to slant error - the closer to the beacon, the less accurate the readings become- in MATS 1 this means that DME cannot be used for separation purposes when a/c are within 15nm of the facility, any distance within this range must be treated as 15nm.
In the UK according to MATS 1 when can't DME's be used for separation?
• According to MATS 1, DME cannot be used for separation purposes when aircraft are within 15 miles of the facility.
• Within the UK for separation purposes, any distance within 15 miles must be treated as unreliable and rounded to 15 miles.
• Hence for an outbound aircraft to be 5 miles away from another outbound at say 8 miles, it would have to pass 20 miles; the other aircraft would be rounded to 15 miles
• Therefore an aircraft at say 6 miles has to be taken as being at both 0 and 15 miles, and every distance in between.
What are the VDF tolerances?