Flashcards in Unit 1: Lecture 2 Self-study Deck (12):
Functions of skin (PASTE)
Layers of the skin (3)
1. epidermis - vegetative intermitotics with a keratinized layer
2. dermis - (papillary/superficial) papillae that carry vasculature to epidermis, and (reticular/deep) a network of collagen elastic fibers
3. Tela subcutanea - panniculus adiposis (layer of fat) and stratum fibrous (superficial fascia)
contained in hair follicle, and consists of keratinized epithelium
smooth muscle coursing from the root of the hair follicle to the dermis
under sympathetic control
Absent from palms of hands and soles of feet
Sebum production can clog hair follicle, causing acne
Since entire cell is lost in secretion, it is called a "holocrine gland"
absent from glans of penis and labia minor
"eccrine gland" because none of cell is secreted
large "apocrine glands" (secrete some of cell) around anus and armpit
keratinized epithelium produced at the base of the nail bed
Mammary Gland boundaries
Superior: 2nd or 3rd rib.
Inferior: 6th or 7th costal cartilage.
Lateral: Anterior axillary fold (identify on yourself).
Medial: Lateral border of sternum.
Surrounded by areola and is found at 4th rib
Portions of mammary glands (2)
1. parenchyma (functional part)
2. stroma (supportive, connective tissue part)
surgery that is done after breast biopsy