Flashcards in Urethra, Penis And Scrotum Part 2 Deck (8)
What are the 3 risk factors for tumour of the testis ? (3)
1. Undescended testis
2. Infant hernia
Germ cell tumours make up 95% of all scrotal tumours, describe the 2 types
Pure Seminomas (80%)
- age group >30
Non- seminomas germ cell tumours :NSGCT
- mixed NSGCT
- Teratomas (rare in adults: 15-30)
- yolk sac tumours (commonest amongst children)
Apart from germ cell tumours what are the 3 other types of tumours ?
1. Sex cord strongly tumours
2. Leydig cells
Describe the 3 main symptoms of a testicular tumour
1. Painless testicular lump with/without abdominal swelling
2. Symptoms due to Mets
3. Haemospermia/Hydrocele may be present
What is a rare symptom of testicular tumours ?
What are the 3 investigations used for testicular tumours ?
1. USS of scrotum
2. Tumour markers:
- Teratomas: AFP and b-hcg
- seminomas: b-hcg and placental ALP
3. CT CAP for staging
What is the management of seminomas according to stage ?
Stage 1-2: inguinal orchidectomy + radiotherapy
Stage 3-4: as above + chemo