Flashcards in Vaginitis and Vaginosis Deck (23)
In a normla vaginal vagination, what type of bacteria predominante within the Vagina?
What is the normal pH of the vagina
Cause of Candidiasis?
Candida albicans is most common.
- Other causes of candidiasis would be Candidiasis Glabrata (fungus)
Symptoms of a candidasis infection
Abnormal vaginal discharge, external dysuria, vulvar itching, pain/ irritation
Cause of Trichomonal Vaginitis?
Symptoms of trichomanas vaginalis?
YELLOW DISCHARGE, external dysuria, vulvar itching
Cause of Bacterial vaginosis
Loss of normal vaginal lactobacilli
What could be causative organisms of BV?
Gardeneralla vaginalis, Mobiluncus, other anaerobes
Symptoms of BV?
Increased, abnormal, or malodorous discharge
Describe the discharge in Candidiasis
White in color
Describe the discharge in Trichomonal vaginitis
Discharge in BV
White or grey in color
Which of the three conditions does not include inflammation of the vulva?
pH in candidiasis?
pH in BV?
pH in Trichomonal vaginitis?
Trichomonas vaginalis is what kind of microorganism?
Candida glabrata is different that candida albicans how?
it is a fungi, not a bacteria
BV and candidiasis may be sexually transmitted but generally are not
They are generally just supra-infections of the normal flora.
T. vaginalis is...
sexually transmitted always
Bacterial Vaginosis Dx
- Odor will be terrible, especially after the addition of KOH
- Discharge will look like dishwater (dirty white or gray)
- pH above normal
- Clue Cells- vaginal epithelial cells with adherent bacteria in wet mounts
- Dysuria and vaginal discomfort usually absent.
- Little or no signs of inflammation
So basically, its not really painful or aggravating but it smells like hell and you''' have dishwater type discharge that coats vaginal wall
The Itchy One...
- Vaginal itching may be extreme
- Discharge may resemble cottage cheese
- pH is normal
- yeasts and branching hyphae seen on KOH mount
- May have dysuria