Flashcards in 11. road and traffic signs Deck (20)
what do circular signs mean?
what do blue circle signs mean?
what do red rings or circles sign mean?
what you MUST NOT do
what do triangular signs mean?
what do rectangular signs mean?
what shape is the stop sign?
what type of signs show maximum speed limits?
where do national speed limits apply?
where theres no sign
what are the lines along the middle of the road and what do they mean?
- short broken white lines: divide lanes
- longer broken white lines: hazard warning lines - only overtake if road is clear
- double white lines w solid white line on your side of road: must not cross or straddle the line
- white diagonal stripes or chevrons: seperate lanes of traffic or prevent traffic turning right
what are the lines along the side of the road and what do they mean?
- white line: edge of carriageway
- yellow lines: waiting + stopping restrictions
- zigzag lines: no stopping or parking
what are the lines on or across the road and what do they mean?
- broken line: give way
- solid line: stop
- markings e.g. giveway triangles or road hump markings: warn of hazard
what does red and amber mean on traffic light?
stop and wait
what does amber mean on traffic light?
stop unless already crossed stop line
sequence of traffic lights?
red, red+amber, green, amber, red
where do you find red flashin lights and what must you do?
- level crossings
- lifting bridges
- outside fire stations
what are amber flashing lights on motorways for?
warns of hazard e.g. fog, lane closures
what are red flashing lights on motorways for?
dont drive on that lane accompanyed w a red cross
when would you use an arm signal?
- signalling to turn right in busy traffic
- slowing down to give way to zebra crossing
what colour lights do traffic officers use?
amber flashing lights