Flashcards in 5. hazard awareness Deck (12)
what are the different types of hazard? (3)
- static hazards e.g. roundabouts and junctions
- moving hazards e.g. other road users
- road and weather conditions
what are the different types of static hazards?
- parked vehicles
- traffic calming
- traffic lights
what should you ask yourself if you see a sign for a bend?
what if theres a pedestrian or obstruction just around the bend - would i be able to stop in time and safely?
how can parked cars be a hazard?
- children dashing out between them
- car doors opening
- cars moving away
what should you look out for near schools?
flashing amber lights showing children may be crossing
why should you take extra care on two-way roads with a third lane in the center?
as traffic from both directions can use it to overtake
if you see a hazard or obstruction ahead on a motorway or dual carriageway ahead what should you do?
briefly warn the traffic behind you using your hazard lights
when should you turn on yout hazard warning lights?
if your vehicle has broken down and is causing an obstruction
at some bridges what may some high vehicles need to do?
use the centre of the road to be able to pass underneath
what types of vehicles will have signs on the back of them?
- road maintenance
- large goods vehicles over 13m long
- vehicles carrying hazardous chemicals
when should you not overtake?
- if turning left shortly afterwards?
- if signs and road markings prohibit this
- when approaching a junction
- when the view ahead is blocked