Flashcards in 9. motorway rules Deck (23)
what should you do when you join a motorway from a slip road?
- adjust speed to match traffic on motorway
what lane should you be in in the motorway?
- left hand unless overtaking
what should you do when you overtake?
- overtake on the right
- only on left is traffic is moving slowly in queues and queue on right is moving more slowly than you
whats a crawler lane?
- seperate lane on a steep uphill for slower moving traffic
what is the national speed limit for cars and motorcycles on motorway
speed and lane restrictions for vehicle towing a trailer on a motorway?
cant go right hand lane of 3 lane unless closures
what is atm
active traffic management
atm also known as?
what do atm/smart motorways do?
reduce congestion by showing speed limitis to reduce bunching
what happens to a hard shoulder on an atm
used as normal lane sometimes but will know bc will have a sign w speed limit or cross
what do traffic officers do on motorways and A class roads in england?
- able to stop and direct anyone on motorway/a road
- respond to calls from the emergency telephones at the roadside
what do reflective studs do?
identify position on carriageway esp at fog or night
what does a red reflective stud mean?
between hard shoulder and carriageway
what does a amber reflective stud mean?
between edge of carriageway and central reservation
what does a white reflective stud mean?
what does a green reflective stud mean?
between carriageway and slip roads
what does a fluorescent green/yellow reflective stud mean?
contraflow system and roadworks
when can you stop on a motorway?
- flashing light on every lane
- told to by police or traffic officers
- emergency or breakdown
where are emergency telephones?
- 1 mile intervals - markers every 100m to show
where should you stand when using an emergency telephone?
facing oncoming traffic so you can see hazards
how do you rejoin carriageway from hard shoulder?
- wait for safe gap
- gain speed on hard shoulder before moving out
what should you do if you cant get on to the hard shoulder when you break down?
- switch on hazard lights
- leave vehicle when you can get clear of carriageway safely