Flashcards in Aviation Deck (110)
name 6 types of pilot licenses
what language is required for all pilots?
what tests are required to be completed for a pilot license?
Currently, how many active pilot certificats are in the US?
610K- only pilots with FAA medical certificates are included in that number
which certified pilot is the most common in the us?
what is the average age of active pilots?
how long is a student pilot license valid for, whats the minimum age?
24 months, 16,
what are the rules to owning a student license?
obtain a third class medical certificate from an FAA-designated AME, and can fly solo, or with instructor
what are 4 restrictions to owning a recreational pilot certificate
1. all flights must be witin 50 nautical miles of the airport where instructions were recieved,
2. no more than 1 passanger, in small plane with no more than 4 seats
3. strict visual flight rules and limitations,
4. can only fly in good clear weather during daylight
when was the sport pilot certificate created?
what plans can you fly with a sport pilot certificate- and how many hours does it take?
single engine, gliders, powered prachutes, gyroplanes, weight-shift control aircraft, airship, and ballons, >20 hours of flight instructions
what are the restrictions to a sport pilot certificate
1. cant fly at night
2. cant fly with visibulity
what is the light-sport aircraft definition?
the broad definition includes a single, non-turbine engine and fixed landing gear
what are the rules for obtaining a private pilot certificate
1. min 17 yrs. old
2. 40 hours of flight with 20 min hours of flight instruction, and 10 or more hours of solo flight.
3. its permanent
4. must obtain a 3rd class medical certificate from FAA-designated AME. 40 yrs old.
what certificate is needed to be considered a professional pilot? (carry people or cargo for hire)
commercial pilot certificate
what are the rules to getting a commercial pilot certificate
1. 18 yrs old
2. 250 hours of flying, 100 with pilot in command,
3. a second class medical certificate from FAA-designated AME (valid for one year)
how many pilots certified under the commercial pilot certificate are actually employed as commercial pilots?
what certificate is needed to be considered a pilot-in command
airline transport pilot certificate.
what are the rules to obtaining an airline transport pilot certificate?
1. 33 yrs old
2. 1500 hours of flight as a pilot
3. good moral character
4. first class medical certificate (valid for 6 months)
what are the 9 pilot licenses and permits that can be obtained in canada
5. airline transport
9. ultra light
in 2008, how many canadians owned licenses and permits for flying?
what is the minimum age for student permit in canada, and for airline transport in canada?
1. 14 yrs old
2. 21 yrs old
in US pilots can receive special ratings (except student). This is special conditions, privileges or limitations. What kind of ratings are there- 5?
1. aircraft catergorie ratins
2. airplane class ratings
3. rotorcraft class rating
4. lighter than air class ratings
5. instrument flight rating
what is VFE- visual flight rules?
governs procedures for conducting flight under visual conditions
what is VMC- visual meterological conditions?
expressed in terms of visiability, distance from clouds, and a cloud ceiling distance. - typical rule is 3 miles ahead and 1000 foot cloud ceiling.
what does an instrument flight rating do?
allows pilots to fly with use of instruments. (altitude, attitude, opperations of aircraft etc)
how can someone obtain their instrument flight rating?
1. private pilot certificate
2. pass aeronautical experience requirements, + 50 hours as pilot in comand, and 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time
3. pass a practical and writeten exam,
how much of the population is instrument rated?
65% (inclydes commercial and airline transport where its required)
what is a dead man spiral or graveyard spiral and how is it avoided?
this is when the plan drops into a inescapable spin, d/t individual vertigo caused by G force. This is avoided by the use of instruments in the aircraft.