Flashcards in BB LRGPHOR Ch9 - Rabbit colony management Deck (25):
1. Concerning rabbit caging in laboratory animal facilities:
a. openings in the cage floor for fecal passage should be approximately 0.5-0.7 inches
b. ulcerative pododermatitis has long been associated with rabbits housed on plastic compact floor.
c. a 7 Kg female with litter should be provided with at least 0,4 m2 of floor space.
d. all the above
For rabbit breeding studies, a 16 –hour light: 8-hour dark cycle has been recommended.
6. What noise levels will probably cause auditory damage in rabbits?
7. In which humidity range will be a rabbit more comfortable?
8. True or False: Recirculating air supply system is highly recommended in rabbit facilities.
9. Briefly explain the reason why in general, all rabbits are held in negative air pressure differential to adjacent spaces.
To help contain allergens and the large amount of hair these animal shed.
16. (Complete) Rabbit cages present a difficult sanitation because they excrete significant amounts of _________ in their urine which forms ________ __________ that adhere to the cages.
calcium / calcium carbonate
17. True or False: Primary rabbit enclosures must be cleaned at least once per month.
21. True or False: It has been reported that hormone stabilization after shipping is recovered within 72 h.
25. True or False: Human social interaction is not considered as environmental enrichment.
26. (Choose the False) Group housing in rabbits:
a .food intake monitoring is difficult
b .pens are usually bedded
c. male rabbits have displayed preference to be housed together
d. group-housed rabbits show less stereotypical disorders compared to single-caged rabbits.
27. True or False: No differences in immunological responses have been found between dominant and submissive rabbits in a group-housing environment
29. True or False: Does should be bred as soon after maturity to achieve a successful reproductive performance
31. True or False: Bucks should always be brought to the doe’s cage for breeding to avoid aggression
34. Regarding rabbit gestation:
a. Pregnancy is usually determined by radiograpy by day 8
b. Pseudopregnancy is not possible in rabbits because the corpora lutea doesn’t persist.
c. The average length of gestation is 31-32 days
d. Rabbits do not show overt signs of pregnancy until very late in gestation
T/F. Nursing takes place once per day.
40. True or False: Rabbits primarily eat at night and in the early morning when fed ad libitum.
41. True or False: A 24 hour period of anorexia in the rabbit is an indicator of disease.
42. The optimum pellet size for rabbits would be:
0,63 cm long and 0,47 cm in diameter
43. True or False: Rabbits appear to have a distinct preference for salted feeds
4. Which plant is the primary ingredient of the commercial rabbit diets?
47. An optimal feed composition for an adult male rabbit would be:
17 % protein, 20 % fiber
48. True or False: Low fiber diets can lead to enteritis in rabbits.
49. True or False: Rabbits are known to have a very low circulation serum calcium levels compared to other animals