Flashcards in BIO220 Lecture 14 Deck (44)
How did Wright prove that artificial selection did play a part for reducing the genetic diversity of maize & teosinte?
- computer simulation model: "no artificial selection": only bottleneck
- real data had less diversity than the simulation, so artificial selection must be present: bottleneck + further selection at certain loci
Is there still room left for more artificial selection? (our crops already have very reduced diversity)
Yes, for traits with complex genetic basis
what is the longest artificial study, and what do the results mean?
study: 100 generations of selection on corn kernels for protein & oil content
results: "reversal lines" when it begins to plateau show that there is still room for more selection.
what are "reversal lines" in the 100 generation selection study?
When the direction of selection is reversed
when did the Irish Potato Famine happen?
Potatoes ......... from seed
do not grow easily
Potatoes sprout easily from ____
potatoes reproduce using...
Why did the Potato Famine happen?
- only 1-3 genotypes
- clonal propagation
- no genetic diversity, so couldn't evolve resistance
- P. infetans (oomycete) infected potatoes
- fungus-like eukaryote
- distinct from fungi
- disperse spores by wind
plant disease, usually caused by fungi
instead of monoculture crops, we should grow...
ignorming evolution will affect...
- medicine (antibiotic resistance)
- many important social issues