Why is Megestrol Acetate (Ovaban®) contraindicated in the queen?
causes diabetes mellitus
T/F: In order to be effective, Megestrol Acetate (Ovaban®) must be used within the first three days of estrus
- In order to be effective, Ovaban® must be used within the first three days of proestrus
- Next estrus cycle will be 4-6 weeks earlier
T/F: Use of Depo-Provera® may predispose bitches to CEH and pyometra
Medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA), commonly known as Provera ® or Depo-Provera®, is used to suppress the heat cycle in female dogs
In the bitch, progesterone needs to be in a range of ___ ng/mL or lower to consider supplementing
In the bitch, progesterone needs to be in a range of 3 ng/mL or lower to consider supplementing
If you're going to supplement progesterone in a pregnant bitch, you should ideally wait until 45 days of pregnancy or (at a minimum) avoid the first trimester (21 days). Why?
to avoid masculinization of female pups or maintain a physiologic concentration of P4
Remove Progesterone 2 to 3 days prior to due date to allow cervix to relax adequately. Any progestagen can masculinize the female fetuses
T/F: Progesterone supplementation during pregnancy can feminize male fetuses
Progesterone supplementation during pregnancy can masculinize female fetuses
What does Mibolerone (Cheque®) do?
prolongs interestrus interval (IEI)
prevents LH release by negative feedback, thereby preventing estrus
- Androgenic compound
- Not approved for use in breeding bitches
- Generally not recommended due to safety/efficacy issues
Deslorelin is a(n) ______ analogue. It down-regulates the pituitary-gonadal axis
Deslorelin is a GnRH analogue. It down-regulates the pituitary-gonadal axis
- It can be used for long or short term suppression of reproductive function of dogs and in situations where a reduced Testosterone level is required, such as controlling antisocial behavior and treating prostatic enlargement
- Approved in ferrets
"Mismating" shots can be given to cause "tubular lockage" and disrupt/alter the uterine environment. They must be given within ____ hours of breeding to be effective
Estrogen - within 72 hours of breeding - while still in estrus
- Take cytology to confirm estrus/sperm
- Causes “tubular lockage” and disrupts/alters uterine environment
- 25% incidence of pyometra - side effect
- Only ~38% of dogs become pregnant from one mating – so may want to delay drugs until ~30 day ultrasound
What is the main sign of estrogen toxicity seen in dogs and ferrets?
bone marrow suppression/aplasia
T/F: Mismating shots must be administered within 63 days of breeding
Mismating shots must be administered within 72 hours of breeding
T/F: Multiple small injections of prostaglandin will lyse the CL of the bitch or the queen
Side effects seen with smooth muscle contractions but minimize over time
- Luteolytic dose only 5 fold from the LD 50
- May get drop in blood pressure (some need IV fluids to stabilize), vomiting, diarrhea, salivation and panting
Used for treatment of pyometra, retained placenta, mismating, collection of males
- Best accomplished during 2nd trimester after pregnancy diagnosis
Bromocriptine and Cabergoline are _______ inhibitors
Prolactin is luteotropic in bitch and queen during the 2nd trimester. CL’s lyse in response to lowered prolactin levels
- Cabergoline is a serotonin antagonist
- Bromocryptine is a dopamine agonist
Before mid-gestation, what drug(s) is/are most commonly used to induce abortion in the bitch?
After mid-gestation, what drug(s) is/are most commonly used to induce abortion in the bitch?
Bromocriptine + Lutalyse®
- Bromocryptine 10 mcg/kg PO TID plus Lutalyse ® 0.1mg/kg SQ TID (less side effects with low dose)
- Side effects lessen with subsequent doses
- Takes 10-12 doses before abortion is complete
- Recheck with U/S to ensure abortion complete
What drug is used to induce estrus when a bitch does not come back into estrus for a prolonged period?
- Prolactin inhibition may shorten anestrus
- 70% will induce within 14 days
- Make sure low P4 before start and had normal (5 mo) interestrous interval
- Can take 7 to 50 days though – be prepared for expense if longer time interval
- Look for bleeding and vulvar edema to start cytologies/Progesterone measurements or check cytology and vag speculum q7d until in proestrus
- May get coat color changes esp with tx beyond 3 weeks but will go away when next sheds
What is the drug of choice for treatment of unwanted uterine contractions in the bitch?
Terbutaline (β2 agonist)
- Progesterone will also decrease uterine contractions if Terbutaline not totally effective
- Avoid high Terbutaline dosages as may cause cardiac effects
- Look for dead pup, infection or inflammation as cause of abnormal contractions
This drug is used for a bitch that whelps with little to no milk:
↓ dopamine & ↑ prolactin
↑ milk production
Which of the following drugs would be appropriate to give in a protocol to induce an abortion in a bitch at around 45 days of gestation?