Flashcards in Chapter 08 Deck (20):
204. The goal of demonstrating civility during the hiring process and while new hires are being acculturated, is to create a (__ __ __), which further encourages (__ __) to the community.
(civil work environment) (excellent service)
204. To hire in the spirit of service, a police agency must demonstrate civility during...
every phase of the hiring process and while new hires are being acculturated
204. This kind of work environment encourages excellent service to the community.
civil work environment
204. Civility does not mean tolerance of (__) or (__) conduct demonstrated by (__ __).
(unethical) (criminal) (police officers)
205. A civil work environment is characterized by (__) interactions, (__) the dismissal of (__) and (__) beliefs.
(positive) (optimism) (cynicism) (pessimistic)
205. The emergence of (__) or (__) work environments has spawned a (__) of (__).
(casual) (undisciplined) (culture) incivility)
205. Culture of incivility defining characteristics:
* constant unapologetic interuptions
* vulgar language
* rude/distracting emails
205. Civility matters because it powerfully shapes the culture of a:
* police agency
* it's employees
* community it serves
205. Civility determines how people...
perform, solve problems, and interact within a common work environment.
205. During an officer's training/probationary period, who must TEACH CIVILITY by demonstrating civil behavior and mentoring those just starting their police careers?
205.TRAINERS MODEL civil behavior by:
1) showing respect for others.
2) projecting can-do attitude.
3) demonstrate concern/acceptance of others.
4) acknowledging kindness/potential.
5) actively listening to others' concerns.
205. They can teach civility if they demonstrate anger management.
TRAINERS and MENTORS
205. Culture of civility during pre-employment screening, police academy, and probationary periods creates (__), service (__), and (__) employees.
(productive) (focused) (satisfied)
205. Officers who are (__) and (__) about their careers and their agency, deliver (__) service, which in turn produces (__ __).
(contented) (positive) (excellent) (satisfied citizens)
205. Police officers in a civil work environment have more (__ __) available to tend to their (__ __) as well as their (__).
(emotional energy) (personal lives) (careers)
206. Verbal abuse of trainees or probationary officers stems from the antiquated belief that the person in charge must demonstrate (__) and (__) behavior.
206. Individuals who verbally abuse trainees or probationers, view dominance as a sign of strength, and these characteristics as weakness.
206. This behavior when demonstrated by officers can be dangerous.
Aggressive/dominating behavior associated with obedience-oriented, military-style police training.
206. Can produces arrogant officers who may disregard laws and policies designed to protect citizens as well as the officers themselves.
Militaristic training and attitudes.