Flashcards in Childhood Deck (13)
Pilcher - modern childhood
main feature is separateness, its a clear distinct life stage with different status to adults.
Benedict- childhood in non industrial countries
1. Take responsibility at a young age, after 5.
2. Less value placed on children showing obedience to adult authority.
3. Children sexual behaviour viewed differently.
In the Middle Ages childhood did not exist,
children were seen as an adult instantly. Laws made no distinction between adults and children.
high death rates encouraged indifference and neglect, especially infants.
Aries - why we now have childhood
1. schools started to specialise in children education not adults
2. growing distinction between adults and children's clothing
3. handbooks on how to rear children became widely available.
Why is there childhood?
1. laws restricting child labour and excluding them from payed work
2. intro of compulsory schooling
3. lower infant mortality rates
4. better medical knowledge
-Industrialisation made these changes, higher standard of living lowers infant mortality, it also needs an educated workforce this looks kids to school.
Postman - information hierarchy
When children couldn't read adults were able to hide things like sex, drugs, violence death etc a secret. TV now means children and adult alike can find out these things, this has. blurred the lines between child and adult.
Higher divorce rate means relationships with their children become more important as a source of adult identity and stability. They are adults last certainty and this makes them even more protective over them.
Palmer- toxic childhood
Rapid technological and cultural changes in the last 25 years have damaged children's physical emotional and intellectual development. eg testing in education constantly, ink food and computer games.
what many march of progress viewers see as protection and care is really oppression and control.
Cunningham - control over children's space
the home habit of 8year olds (where they can travel alone) has shrunk to 1/9 of the size it was 25 years earlier.
control over children
control over children's:
bodies- what they wear how they work
resources- can't get jobs