Flashcards in Diversity/Cultural Competence Deck (8)
What is the rule for diversity questions?
If you identify a "diversity" question, choose a "diversity" answer
Questions include: Culture, Elderly, LGBTQ and Disabilities
What is cultural competence?
The ability to have awareness of one's own culture and knowing how to interact effectively with people of different cultures
What cultural traits are associated with Native Americans and Alaskan Natives?
1) Great RESPECT FOR ELDERS because they hand down traditions
2) SPIRITUAL HEALERS are traditional leaders (medicine man/shamans)
3) Value listening and COMFORTABLE WITH SILENCE
4) High degrees of SUICIDE AND ALCOHOLISM
5) AVOID EYE CONTACT as a SIGN OF RESPECT
What cultural traits are associated with Latino-Hispanics?
1) Mostly ROMAN CATHOLIC and EXTENDED FAMILY SYSTEM
2) Demonstrate SHAME WHEN SEEKING MENTAL HEALTH ASSISTANCE
3) EXCESSIVE EMOTIONALITY when confronted with a crisis
What cultural traits are associated with Asian/Pacific Islanders?
1) Obligation to PARENTS and RESPECT for ELDERS
2) ELDERS are the FAMILY decision-makers
3) Resolve conflicts WITHIN the FAMILY
4) LESS Emotional expressiveness
5) Use ALTERNATIVE health methods / Ex: Coining, acupuncture, cupping and herbal remedies
What cultural traits are associated with the Elderly?
1) Remain PATIENT and RESPECTFUL - DO NOT USE AN AGGRESSIVE APPROACH
2) Address client with Mr. or Mrs. as a sign of RESPECT, especially if you are a younger social worker
3) FREQUENT APPOINTMENTS might be needed during the beginning of treatment-home visits
4) Respect elder's capacity for SELF-DETERMINATION if they are mentally alert
5) If the client has medical issues, RULE OUT MEDICAL FIRST BEFORE DECISION MAKING
What cultural traits are associated with gender identity clients/LGBTQ clients?
1) Be aware that LGBTQ clients FIRST HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR VALUES
2) Support the client in UNDERSTANDING THEIR OWN sexual orientation prior to sharing/opening up with family and friends
3) "Coming Out" to friends and family members is a stressful decision for clients