Flashcards in Equine foot 1 Deck (56)
Properties - hoof capsule under laod
- elastic and flexible (this is known as the hoof mechanism)
- protective (stones, trauma)
What does the hoof allow? 2
- internal swelling
What is the weak point of the hoof?
What is the hoof mechanism important for?
What are the parts of the white line? 5
- white zone
- stratum lamellum
- stratum internum
- stratum medium hoof wall
How can you examine the hoof?
- hoof testers/ palpation
- response to local analgesia
- Imaging (radiographs, advanced)
What is the most common site of lameness?
What parts of the hoof can you palpate?
- dorsal DIP joint capsule
- DIP joint collatral ligaements
- collateral cartilages
- (distal recess DFTS and DDFT)
What can you look for when palpating the hoof?
- local heat
- digital pulses
- DIP joint effusion
- pastern oedema
Name 2 farriery related problems of the hood
- Nail prick (nail driven through sensitive laminae)
- Nail bind (nail driven too close to sensitive laminae)
How well does the hoof wall heal?
well if the coronary band is not damaged
T - septic pedal osteitis
- wound care
What are hoof cracks?
- disruption of hood wall parallel to horn tubules and lamellae
- can extend into sensitive laminae (lame)
- multifactorial aetiology (poor horn quality, thin hoof wall, abnormal hoof angles)
What 2 aspects of foot balance should be assessed?
hoof from side and lateromedial foot balance
What are hoof wall avulsions?
- damage to coronary band --> permanently disturbed growth
What is a keratoma of the hoof capsule?
- columnar thickening of hoof horn extending towards inside of hoof
- mostly dorsal wall
- aetiology (mechanical irritation, hoof abscess)
- increased local pressure (typical lysis distal to phalanx)
What is a characteristic sign of hoof capsule keratima?
- clear lucency in solar aspect of pedal bone d/t local pressure keratoma --> bone resorption in this area
Name 2 infectious problems of hoof capsule
Describe hoof capsule thrush
- infection leading to necrotic processes in frog area
- usually limited to lateral and medial sulci of frog (solar area)
- v smelly
Describe canker of hoof capsule
- mixed bacterial infection in depper tissue layers of entire frog and heels leads ot disintegration of intertubular honr
- warm, humid
- cheesy white pus
- pungent odour
- tendency to bleed
Tx - hoof capsule thrush and canker
- same for both
- area resected to expose lamellar area underneath
What is white line disease of horse hoof capsule?
- deterioration of white line of hoof capsule --> loss of bond b/w hoof wall and sole
- poor quality horn gets colonised by different bacteria and fungi
- warm, humid
Tx - hoof capsule disease
- management/ prevention (meticulous daily hoof care, stall hygiene)
- debride all necrotic and diseases horn
- disinfect area
- protective bandages for sensitive laminae
- sulci --> hardening solutions (formalin, alternatives)
CS - hoof abscesses
- shod and unshod horses
- infection on area of sensitive lamina after bacterial penetration
What is the commonest cause of TL lameness?
Name 2 types of solar soft tissue
- chronic foot abscess
What is a chronic foot abscess?
- burst out of coronary band
- aka 'gravel' amongst owners
What is quittor?
- infection of collateral cartilage
- seen on palmar/plantar aspect, above coronary band (Vs. chronic foot abscess which bursts out at the coronary band)
Tx- navicular fractures
- single screw