Flashcards in Fire Detection/Protection Deck (49):
What airplane systems have fire detection and protection?
- Cargo compartments
Are the cockpit and cabin protected from fire?
Yes, handheld halon fire extinguishers (1 in cockpit, 4 in cabin)
How are the engines and APU protected from fire?
- Engines: 2 halon fire bottles
- APU 1 dedicated halon fire bottle
Describe the fire test
- Press and hold the test button for 3-10 seconds (longer will shut down APU)
- Aural warnings (3)
- Visual indications
- Overhead Panel (6)
- EICAS (5)
- Glareshield (4)
Does pulling an engine fire handle discharge the bottle?
Can both engine fire bottles be used for one engine if needed?
What indication do you have that the fire-extinguishing bottle has been discharged?
An ENG FIREX BTL A (B) advisory on EICAS
How many fire extinguishing bottle shots do you have for the engines?
2, A and B. Can be used for both in one engine or one in each engine
What happens when an engine fire handle is pulled?
Closes the respective engine fuel SOV, hydraulic SOV and bleed SOV
Does the fire handle require maintenance to reset it after being pulled?
No it's like an electrical switch
What is the power source for engine and APU fire detection and protection?
Engine Det: DC ESS BUS 1 and 2
Engine Prot: HOT BATT BUS 1 and 2
APU Det: DC ESS BUS 1 and 2
APU Prot: DC ESS BUS 2
The 2 APU fire loops are connected to what?
Modular Avionics Unit (MAU)
Describe the engine and APU fire detection system
Engine: 8 detectors (2 loops) each
APU: 2 pneumatic fire detectors (2 loops)
What indication do you have when both APU fire-detector loops have failed?
An APU FIRE DET FAIL caution on the EICAS
Can you dispatch with 1 fire detection loop inoperative?
What is an indication of an APU fire?
- Fire bell
- Red stripe in the EMER STOP button
- APU FIRE displayed on EICAS
- Master Warning Light
Will the APU automatically shutdown if a fire is detected?
Only on the ground, after 10 seconds
Pushing the APU FIRE EXTINGUISHER button does what?
Closes the APU fuel valve and discharges the APU fire bottle
What happens if the APU EMER STOP button is pushed after a fire has been detected?
-APU shuts off immediately without a 1-min cool down
- APU SOV closes
- APU FIRE EXTG button illuminates
In the event of an APU fire what happens?
- A red bar on the APU EMER STOP button
- The APU Fire Extinguisher button illuminates when:
- The APU EMER STOP button is pressed, or;
- 1 min after the alarm, if no further action is taken
- When the APU FIRE EXTINGUISHER button is pressed the system
- Discharges the APU fire bottle
- Shuts down the APU via FADEC
- Closes the APU SOV
- Displays APU FIREX BTL DISCH on EICAS
Will pushing the APU emergency stop button illuminate the APU FIRE EXTINGUISHER button?
Only in the event of an APU fire indication
What happens if the APU EMER STOP button is not pushed after a fire has been detected?
After one minute the APU FIRE EXTG button illuminates
Will the APU fire extinguisher automatically discharge?
When will the APU FIRE light go out?
When the fire is no longer detected
APU fire detection works how?
2 gaseous type fire loops with 2 pneumatic fire detectors. Both loops must detect an overheat condition to get a fire indication unless one loop in inop
During an APU fire indication, if nothing is pressed what will happen if no action is taken?
The APU will automatically shut down after 10 seconds if on the ground. After 60 seconds if the memory item is not completed the APU FIRE EXTINGUISHER will illuminate
Can the low-rate bottle be discharged before the minute is up for the cargo compartment?
Yes, by pushing the extinguishing button again
How can the low-rate bottle be discharged if the airplane is on the ground? Will the low rate bottle discharge automatically on the ground after 1-minute?
- Flight crew must push the cargo fire extinguishing pushbutton again
- No. The flight crew must push the cargo fire extinguishing pushbutton again
Can cargo extinguishing be used if no smoke is detected?
- Inflight: Push the extinguisher button twice. First to arm the high rate bottle and second to discharge it.
- Ground: Push the extinguisher button three times. 1st to arm the high rate bottle, 2nd to fire it, 3rd to fire the low-rate bottle
Can the CARGO EXTINGUISHER extinguisher button discharge the bottles on the ground if not being first illuminated?
What happens when a cargo extinguishing button is pushed if smoke has been detected?
- High rate bottles discharge immediately
- Low rate bottle discharges after one minute if the aircraft is in flight (if on the ground requires manual discharge)
How many extinguisher bottles are installed for the cargo compartments>
- 2 bottles used for both compartments
- 1 high rate bottle (60 secs) and 1 low rate bottle (60 mins)
How many smoke detectors are installed in the cargo compartments?
- 3 in fwd compartment
- 2 in aft compartment
What happens to the forward cargo compartment in the event smoke is detected?
- Recirculation fan shuts off
- Ventilation outflow valve closes
Why do the cargo compartment fan and ventilation outflow valve close in the event of smoke?
-Prevents oxygen from entering the compartment
- Prevents Halon agent from escaping into the aircraft cabin
What is the difference between the high- and low-rate bottle?
- High-rate bottle saturates compartment immediately
- Low rate bottle maintains saturation over a duration of time
How long will the low-rate bottle remain active?
Can the cargo compartment bottles be used for different compartments
No, only one compartment may be selected
Do any fire extinguishers on the aircraft work automatically?
Yes, the lavatory trash bins
How are the lads protected from fire?
- Heat-sensitive thermal fuse plug extinguishers in the nav waste bins automatically discharge if a predetermined temp is reached
- No pilot control
When the lav smoke detector is set off will the cockpit know which lav it is?
No, you get a generic LAV SMOKE on EICAS. Rainbow light will indicate the lav
When you fight a fire what actions should you take?
P- pull pin
A - aim at fire
S - squeeze the handle
S - sweep across fire
What will happen if you do a fire warning test with the APU on and you hold the test button for more than 10 secs?
The APU will shut down
If a CRG (FWD or AFT) smoke warning is received on the ground with the door open you should not discharge the extinguisher but notify ground personnel to investigate. True or false
If the APU is running, press the TEST button on the Fire Extinguisher panel will shut down the APU if held for more than...
How does the remaining 2 fire detectors function to detect fire in the forward cargo bay when one detector is inop?
The remaining detectors must both sense an overheat condition. With 1 detector inop the recirc fan deactivates
When the flight attendant does her mandatory nav test, the EICAS warning and master warning are on for how long?
What does 6,5,4,2 stand for during the fire test?
6 - illuminations
5 - EICAS
4 - Red warning Boxes
2 - Aural warnings