Flashcards in Front Office Management Deck (15):
- The object of a practice is to diagnose and treat patients; therefore patients should take priority over most visitors.
- Other providers: The provider-visitor should be immediately announced, escorted to the healthcare provider's office, and asked to wait with an estimated of the waiting time.
- Pharmaceutical representative: secure the representatives business card, and check with the provider to see if there's time for visit.
Telecommunication- Equipment and material
- 6 button key set: standard phone used in some offices.
A. Up to four incoming lines.
1. Slow flashing light: incoming call.
2. Fast flashing light: calling hold.
3. Steady light: call in progress.
B. intercom button: allows for paging other offices or area in a clinic.
C. Hold button: when pushed places the call on hold.
Telecommunication- Direct dial
- 1 + area code + seven digit number.
Telecommunication- Operated assisted
- 0 + area code + seven digit number.
Telecommunication- Long distance directory assistance within the U.S
Long distance directory assistance with the U.S:
- 411 or 1 + area code + 555-1212
Telecommunication- Time zones
- Pacific time: 12:00-- WA, OR, & CA
- Mountain time: 1:00-- MT, UT, ID, WY, CO, NM; parts of ND, SD, NE, & KS
- Central time: 2:00-- MN, WI, IA, MO, AR, OK, TX, LA, MS, IL, AL; parts of TN, KY, ND, SD, NE, & KS
- Eastern time: 3:00-- all others
Telecommunication- WATS ( 800 Wide Area Telephone Service)
- Toll-free calls anywhere within the U.S 1-800-seven digit number.
- 800 directory assistance: 1-800-555-1212.
Telecommunication- International calls
- International access code (011) + country code + city code + local number + pound sign (#)
- Status of patient population and the area being served, such as metropolitan, industrial, retirement, and rural communities.
- Four patients will be scheduled each hour and seen in the order of arrival.
- The average appointment is 15 minutes.
Appointments- Open office hours (tidal wave)
Open office hours (tidal wave):
- The clinic is open for specified time period and, barring emergencies, patients are seen in the order of arrival; the least efficient method.
Appointments- stream (fixed intervals)
Stream (fixed intervals):
- Each patient is given a specific appointment time, usually 15 minutes.
Appointments- Modified wave
- Two patients may be scheduled on the hour and two on the half hour.
- Two patients may be scheduled on the hour, one on the half hour.
- Two may be scheduled on the hour, one 15 minutes later, and one on the half hour.
- Scheduling two patients simultaneously to see the same provider.