Flashcards in Harm reduction: An approach to reducing risky health behaviors in adolescents Deck (12):
What is harm reduction?
A strategy directed toward individuals or groups that aims to reduce the harms associated with certain behaviours not the actual behavior
What is the prevalence of alcohol use in high school students in Ontario?
2/3 of students
What is the prevalence of cannabis use in high school students in Ontario
1/3 of students
What percentage of teens reported that using drugs or alcohol was the reason that they had intercourse for the first time?
What is the median age of first intercourse?
What percentage of boys and girls in grade 9 have had oral sex?
What are the possible approached to substance use and other risky behaviors?
1. Discourage the behavior (abstinence)
2. Encourage reduction of the behavior
3. Provide with information aimed at reducing the harmful consequences of the behavior when it occurs
Are abstinence programs successful in reducing substance use?
What are some examples of primary prevention harm reduction policies in schools?
1. AMPS (Alcohol Misuse Prevention Study) in US
2. SHAHRP (School Health and Alcohol Harm Reduction Program) in Australia
What are examples of motivational interviewing techniques?
1. Open-ended questions
2. Reflective listening
4. Summary statements
5. Eliciting change talk
What are examples of harm reduction policies?
1. Condom machines in schools
2. Seat belts
3. Helmet use
4. Protective gear in sports
5. Sun screen
6. Safe needle injection sites
7. Contraception education