Flashcards in Hist for Path: 3 Deck (10):
Components of the lower urinary tract?
Main function of ureter?
Drain urine at low pressure from kidneys to bladder
What is trigone?
- Smooth inner area of bladder that funnels into urethra
- At the base of trigone are ureteral orifices
3 layers of bladder from inner to outer?
1. Transitional epithelium
2. Lamina propria
3. Detrusor muscle: deep muscle
What is the urothelium?
- Transitional epithelium
- Covers renal pelvis, ureters, bladder, and parts of urethra
- 3 - 5 layers than can contract and expand
- Appears cuboidal when bladder is not distended
- Appears flat when bladder is distended
What are umbrella cells?
- Epithelial cells at top of urothelium that cover rest of
Functions of urothelium?
- Protect against changes in volume
- Protect from caustic effects of urine
Where is urothelial carcinoma found often?
Most often in bladder
Which urethra is connected to reproductive system?