Flashcards in Integument II Deck (16):
Describe Sebaceous Glands
• Holocrine glands
• Branched acinar glands with short ducts
• Found everywhere except palms and soles
• Continuously produce sebum
• Released into hair follicle
• Growth is stimulated at puberty by sex hormones
Describe merocrine glands
• Coiled, simple tubular secretory portions:
• Lined by simple epithelium
• Apical dark secretory cells secrete glycoproteins
• Basal clear cells secrete water and electrolytes
• Myoepithelial cells
• Duct system consists of stratified cuboidal epithelium except in epidermis.
• Cholinergic endings
What are the two types of sudoriferous glands?
merocrine and apocrine
Describe apocrine glands
• Found in labia majora, areola, and axillary and anal regions.
• Secretions are thicker and more viscous than merocrine types.
• Excretory duct opens into hair follicle.
• Adrenergic innervation
• Inactive until puberty
• Special types:
• Ceruminous glands
• Glands of Moll
List the components of a hair follicle.
• Free shaft
• Hair follicle
What is a hair follicle developed from?
epidermis as elastic, keratinized threads
What are associated with hair follicles?
Sebaceous glands and arrector pili muscles
Describe a hair bulb.
• Expanded lower part of hair follicle
• Vascularized dermal papilla
List and describe the two sheaths of a hair follicle.
• External root sheath:
• Down growth of epidermis
• Internal root sheath:
• Generated by bulb matrix
• Henle’s layer (outermost)
• Huxley’s layer
• Interlocks with cuticle of hair shaft
List the layers of the hair shaft.
• Medulla (innermost)
What cells can reestablish epidermis in severely burned
Keratinocyte Stem Cells
List the migration pathways of keratinocyte stem cells.
• Bulb-epidermis stem cell pathway
• Bulb-sebaceous gland stem cell pathway
• Bulb-hair stem cell pathway
List the signalling pathways of keratinocyte stem cells.
• Wnt signaling pathway
• Notch signaling pathway
You treat a cancer patient with chemotherapy. Which layer of the skin will most likely be affected by the chemotherapy treatment?
You examine a slide of skin taken from the palm of a cadaver. You notice that there is an extra layer of skin between the stratum corneum and granulosum. What is this extra layer?