Flashcards in LCT14: Athena Deck (21)
Four characteristics of Athena
- wisdom (owl)
- battle prowess = strategy and discipline, protector of many heroes
- patron of civilized crafts and skills = weaving, construction of ships and chariots, etc
Athena is a goddess of what?
- primarily worshipped in cities as guardian deity
- olive tree
Two Titles for Athena
1) Glaukopis : "grey-eyed"
2) Pallas : "virgin" and "welder"
Appearance of Athena
- typically armed and wearing the aegis
- sometimes accompanied by Nike, winged goddess of victory
given to Athena by Zeus - a kind of breastplate, inspires fear
Who did Athena fight on who would found the city of Athens?
What gifts do Athena and Poseidon present to Zeus? Who wins?
Poseidon = salt-water spring
Athena = the olive tree
- Athena victorious, names the city "Athens" after herself
What is so special about Athena's olive?
- vital greek crop
- food, profit, olive oil, etc.
What is the name of Athena's temple?
Where is the Parthenon located?
on the Acropolis ("high place of the city")
Pediments of the Parthenon
East pediment - birth of Athena
West - Athena's contest with Poseidon
Where is the reconstructed Parthenon located?
Who is Arachne? What does he do?
a master weaver - arrogantly refuses to acknowledge Athena as the source of her skills
What does Athena do?
appears in disguise to warn her, but Arachne persists...
What happens between Arachne and Athena?
What does Athena's tapestry consist of?
- contest of poseidon
- fates of presumptuous mortals
What does Arachne's tapestry consist of?
gods affairs w/ mortal women
What does Athena do since hers isn't clearly better?
turns Arachne into a spider
Athena is the goddess of what?
patron goddess of weaving
the principal female act in ancient Greece... is a vital craft for the community... requires much skill and is associated with resourcefulness and ingenuity