Flashcards in Menstrual Cycle, Infertility & Conception Deck (65)
Menopause is considered premature if it occurs prior to ___ years old.
Many birth control pills work by blocking the ___, thus inhabiting the release of an egg.
This hormone stimulates growth and development of ovarian follicles.
Ovarian follicles produce ___ which stimulates endometial groth.
When implantation does NOT occur, decreasing ___ levels permit sloughing of the uterine lining.
What three phases does an ovary go through during a normal cycle?
What cycle days are follicular?
Whay cycle days are ovulatory?
What cycle days are luteal?
Any follicle measuring greater than ___ will must likely ovulate.
Sonographic findings that ovulation has occurred may include...
1. sudden decrease in follicular size
2. free fluid in the posterior cul-de-sac
Involution of the ruptured Graafian follicle results in the formation of a...
The corpus luteum produces ___ which will maintain the secretory endometrium should implantation occur.
Sonographically, the luteal phase looks like...
1. echogenic structure representing thrombus
2. small, irregular cystic mass with borders
3. doppler findings of a hypervascular corpus luteum with low resistance flow
What are the three menstrual phase of a normal cycle?
What cycle days are menstrual?
Sonographically, the menstrual phase looks like...
1. thickened, echogenic endometrium prior to the start of menses
2. complex appearance at the beginning of menses
3. thin, slightly irregular endometium after the shedding of tissue
4. maximum AP diameter is 2 mm (post menses)
What cycle days are proliferative?
Sonographically, the proliferative phase looks like..
1. hypoechoic area around the prominent midline echo
2. thickened, isoechoic endometrium
3. max AP diameter is 6-8 mm
The bright middle line of the proliferative phase is the reflection of both...
the mucosal and basal layers touching each other.
T/F? The three uterine lines of proliferative phase are brighter in the early part of the phase.
FALSE, the later part
What cycle days are the secretory phase?
Sonographically, the secretory phase looks like...
1. hyperechoic endometrium with obscured midline, may have posterior acoustic enhancement
2. max AP diameter up to 18 mm
This is excessive volume during cyclic menstrual bleeding.
This is an abnormally small amount of menstrual bleeding.
This is frequent menstrual bleeding occurring at less than 21 days apart.
This is menstrual bleeding occuring more than 35 days apart.
This is irregular frequent bleeding.
This is bleeding that is irregular in both frequency and volume.