Flashcards in Micronutrients Deck (8)
What are the vitamin and trace element requirements for IV nutrition?
1. In catabolic patients increased requirements due to prior malnutrition: depleted levels (esp w/GI disease)
2. Increased needs with increased metabolic rate with hypermetabolism (thiamine, riboflavin and niacin)
3. Increased needs for antioxidants and associated vitamins (vit C, E, and Se and B6 and riboflavin)
In regards to micronutrients there are few agreed recommendations for patients, what are these recommendations?
1. Generally needs are increased
2. B vitamins
4. Some trace elements
In regards to micronutrients, enteral feeds are usually _____? and TPN may involve ____?
Immunonutrition in post surgery, critically ill and burn patients provide what benefits to the patient?
1. Improved barrier function
2. Improved immune function
3. Decreased hyperinflammation
4 .improved wound healing
---all lead to improved clinical outcome
What are important amino acids and antioxidants for nutrition?
---glutamine, arginine, cysteine
--fish oils (n-3 long chain fatty acids)
what Amino acid (especially parenteral) has benefit in both post surgery and critically ill patients?
Enteral feeds containing _____ have benefit in post surgery patients, use in critically ill patients in controversial