Flashcards in Objective 4a Basic Slit lamp exam Deck (5):
What are the first 4 steps in the slit lamp exam?
1. wash hands
2. clean chin and head rest with alcohol swab
3. Properly position the patient at the slit lamp
4. Place the illumination arm and microscope in the straight ahead position.
What are steps 5-11?
5. Place hand in front of the light and make the narrowest slit possible or focus on the limbus then move the beam on to the cornea
6. Hold the joystick to focus
7. Always keep two hands on the slit lamp
8. Do an overall sweep with diffuse illumination, check the lids and lashes
9. Proceed parallelepiped
10. Do a general survey, observe the tear film and the entire cornea
11. Narrow for an optic section and sweep across the cornea
Step 12 and 13 are:
Looking at the layers of the tear film and cornea, and estimate the depth of the anterior chamber angle.
14. Perform a sclerotic scatter illumination
15. Survey the lids, conjunctiva and blood vessels
16. Check under the lids for hyperemia, raised papillae or GPC
17. Check the anterior chamber for flare using an optic section