Flashcards in Protein Exam 1 Deck (12)
What are essential amino acids and how many are there?
essential amino acids the body does not make and there are 9
What are semi essential amino acids and how many are there?
Our ability to make them depends on having essential AA present and there are 2
What are conditionally essential amino acids and how many are there?
Need them at certain life periods and there are 4
What are the nonessential amino acids and how many?
We can make these in the amounts we need and 5
How is protein digested?
1. broken down into peptides and AA
2. some digest in the stomach, most in small intestine
3. hydrolysis of smaller peptides
4. AA, dipeptides, tripeptides are transported to the enterocyte
5. broken down into AA in the enterocyte
6. some AA are metabolized and others are sent to the liver
How is protein absorbed?
absorbed into the small intestine and then travel via the blood to the liver
What makes each AA unique?
the side group makes each amino acid unique.
What is a complete protein?
contains all 9 essential amino acids
What is an incomplete protein?
low or missing one or several of the 9 essential amino acids.
Whats the best quality protein supplement?
Who has higher protein needs?