2. What is fascia for?
They are nailed to the cut ends of rafters and prevent water from being drawn back along the overhang and inside the walls.
3. What is soffits for?
They dose off the underside of the rafters from nesting under eaves or getting into the attic.
4. Parts of eaves?
1. Rafter (????????). 2. Ledger. 3. Rafter end cap. 4. Fascia. 5. Soffit.
5. How do fascia and soffits work together?
1. They dose off the area beneath the roof eaves. 2. The fascia covers the rafter ends while providing a surface for attaching gutters. 3. Soffits prevent birds from nesting under eaves and often have vents to bring fresh air into attic space.
1. Spring and fall maintenance?
1. Check your gutters, downspouts and roof for leaks. 2. Fill crack in foundation and repair siding. 3. Wash house exterior. 4. Clean gaps between deck boards. 5. Trim any trees and or vegetation tuching the house. 6. Inspect and replace weather stripping if needed clean storm-window weep holes. 7. Clean out window wells.
6. The bottom edge of the roof?
7. A line running from the eave to the ridge formed where two sloping sections of roof meet. Found on roofs with more than two main faces, (????????? ??? ???????????? ????)?
8. The side edge of the roof, which runs from eave to ridge or hip?
9. The line across the top of the roof, formed where two main faces of the roof meet, (??????)?
10. A trough formed by two section of roof, meeting at an angle, (?????????? ??? ?????????? 2? ????)?
11. Guarantee time for asphalt shingles?
Up to 30 years.
13. What shall you use for chimney flashing?
Base, step and cap flashing.
14. What shall you use for valley flashing?
Prefab valley flashing.
15. What protect the edges of the roof?
Gutter aprons and drip edges.
16. What wood need to shore it up or replace it?
Any wood showing a moisture content above 18%.
17. ??????? ?????????
18. How can you find a quantity of shingle bundles?
1. Count area of roof. 2. Add 10% for gables and 15% for hips. 3. Convert into the standard roofing measurement of "sqrares". (A square is 100 square feet). 4. A bundle covers about /3 of square.
19. A waterproof fitting that goes around vent pipes?
20. How can you protect the damaged roof in case of sadden rain?
Have a couple of tarps on hand.
21. What shall you use to remove the old shingles?
Roofing shovel or pitch fork.
22. How can you clean the stray nails from the yard?
Use a release magnet.
23. Sequence of installation of drip edges?
1. Install the drip edge on the fascia before in stalling underlayment. Nail the edge at 12" intervals. 2. Installlthe edge flashing on the rake fascia after installing the rolled underlayment. Overlap the ends of the edges at least 2".
24. How does shingling begins?
With a starter strip that has cut tabs off. Put the rest of the shingle on with the cut edge overlapping the eaves and gutter apron.
25. Other name for roofing underlayment (????)?
26. What is cricket?
A small roof constructed of 2 triangles of exterior-grade plywood and mounted to the roof deck, creating a small peak at the high end of the chimney to keep water flowing down and debris from gathering.
27. Parts of chimney flashing?
1. Cricket. 2. Base flashing. 3. Step flashing. 4. Top flashing. 5. Counter (cap) flashing.
28. How do You install asphalt shingles?
1. Nail the shingle in place. Continue up the roof to the six course trimming each shingle to be 6" narrower than the one below it. 2. Butt a full-length shingle next to it and nail in place. 3. Work your way up the roof nailing a single full-length shingle next to each of the shingles already in place. 4. After you've completed the sixth course, nail a full-length shingle in place to start the seventh course. 5. Measure and snap a chalkline across the top to made sure the row is straight. Snap a line every seven rows, so you can correct any errors before they get too serious.
29. How shall you shingle a ridge?
When you reach the top, trim the shingle flash with the ridge. When you shingle the other side of the ridge, overlap the shingle on the ridge and nail it in place. Install caps.
30. How shall you shingle hips and ridges?
1. Cut 12" square hip cap from regular shingles. 2. Trim them so they taper at one end to 10". 3. Snap a chalk line parallel to the hip and 6" away from it on each side of the ridge. 4. Attach each side of each cap with one roofing nail 1" from the edge, just above the sealing tab. Overlap the caps by 1".