Flashcards in SAT 14 Deck (21)
To shorten; to condense; to diminish;
For people who don’t want to read an entire newspaper, there are clipping services that abridge new stories to specification.
Ant. to curtail/expand; extend; increase
– effective; distinct
The student’s articulate presentation impressed the teacher.
- to speak or pronounce clearly and distinctly; to express effectively
When children first learn to talk, they do not articulate well. Surveys show that women are more apt at articulating their feelings than are men.
– to contradict; give a false impression
His coarse, hard-bitten exterior belied his inner sensitivity.
– making peace; placate
The conciliatory handshake between Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal was a symbol that the opponents would try to get along.
– despairing; depressed
Holden Caulfield was so despondent, he contemplated suicide.
- short-lived; fleeting
Many celebrity relationships are ephemeral; they are short-lived.
Ant. lasting; permanent
– overflowing abundance; joyful enthusiasm
I was bowled over by the exuberance of your welcome.
Adj. – Pittsburgh Steelers fans were exuberant when their team won the Super Bowl.
Ant. apathy; despondent
- someone who eats too much; a person having the capacity to withstand
– based on assumptions or hypotheses; unproven
The teacher gave us a hypothetical situation and told us to role play.
Ant. real; actual
– dull; bland/ exciting
Our math teacher tells the most insipid jokes, but we laugh because he is such a nice guy.
Jocular; - adj.
– inclined to joke; jovial; merry; amusing or intended to cause amusement
Every time I went to math class, our jocular teacher told a new joke.
– to grieve; express sorrow
The 49ers’ fans lamented the loss of their team in the Super Bowl.
- stingy; mean
On Christmas Eve, old Scrooge ceased being miserly and became a generous, kind man.
- obscurity; forgetfulness
We have seen many pop groups and singers come up, and have witnessed quite a few fade into oblivion.
– to win over, conciliate, mollify, appease, soothe
The manager authorized a refund to placate the angry customer.
– soft, wet, boggy land; a complex or dangerous situation from which it is difficult to free oneself
The US quagmire in Afghanistan is raising big questions among many occupying US troops.
Some contemporary cartoonists have created satirical cartoons mocking the world’s great religions.
– calmness; peace
It is up to our generation to restore tranquility for a peaceful world.
– to seize by force without legal rights
The army revolted and usurped control from the rightful government.