Flashcards in Tick, Mites, Fleas and Lice Deck (8)
What phylum do they belong to?
Fleas and lice-
Ticks an mites-
2) physical removal
3) TBE-viral disease that infects brain
LYMES-bacterial disease (spirochetes) flu-like
1) Describe life cycle
1) egg, first nymphal install, second nymphal instar (t0 7) adult.
2) itchy, bites in straight lines
3) topical/oral corticosteroids and hygiene
1)How is it diagnosed?
2) What is SMIPP
3) What is the 1st and 2nd line treatment and how do these work?
4) why are insects more susceptible
1) Ink test/biopsy
2) Scabies mite inactivated protease paralogue (protein with no enzyme activity) antagonist to PAR 2 on keratinocytes, inhibits inflammatory response
3) Permethrin cream 5% (synthetic pyrethroid, ion channel agonist that works on nervous system, prevents Na+ channel activation)/ Malathion lotion 0.5% (anti cholinesterase, blocks cholinesterase promotes cholinergic transmission continuous muscle contraction, increases muscarinic and nicotinic effects)
4) domain II s4-s5 linked at super-kar site
How does ivermectin work?
Ion channel agonist, activates GluCl (cos-loop ligand gated ion channel)
GABAaRs & nACHRs
1) Can fly, bites are in clusters
2) antihistamine/cold compress
3) Tungaisis, females burrow into skin, no treatment other than suffocation
1)Name the three types
2)How can they be detected
1)Pediculus humanus capitis - head
pediculus humanus humanus - body
Phthirus pubis - pubic
2) Black powder, blue spots, blood spots