Flashcards in Wildlife Zoonoses 2 Deck (11)
How can envinromental change affect zoonotic transfer?
- v habitat forces increased contact between wildlife and humans
Human factors affecting zoonotic emergence
- urban sprawl?
- global traffic
- climate change
- bush meat/wet markets
- illegal smuggled meat
- exotic pets
- grazing animals in wild/conervation areas
Is bushmeat behind the ebola outbreak?
- infrastructure and how the cases were dealt with
- washing spreads
Live animal markets
- lots of contact between animals etc.
Where was SARS detected?
-palm civets in fresh meat market
Overall causes of increasing human and wildlife conflict?
- humans have provided the opportunity for interspecies contact that owuldh ave otherwise not happened
- esp air travel
- bush meat smuggling
Which animals are at risk from ebola?
Why does devil facial tumour disease occur?
- NO PATHOGEN
- went through bottleneck hundreds foyers ago -> MHC MSSIVE SIMILARITY
- if bitten by another tasmanian devil with the tumour introducing tumours it is NOT RECOGNISED AS FOREIGN and so will cause a tumour in that animal too
- like canine transmissible venereal tumour??
Where did amphibian chytridiomycosis originate?
Frogs used as pregnancy testing kits - injected with urine
challenges studying wildlife
- wild animals good at hiding and avoiding capture
- rare or unknown population sizes
- risk of biting/stinging
- access to sites
- methods of sampling not validated
- finding scarce
- expertise scarcer