Flashcards in 4.18 Vestibular 2 Deck (18):
What are the 2 otolithic organs sensitive to?
linear acceleration only
What are the 2 otolithic organs?
entire receptor system
What happens as you move your head (gel, otoconia)
gel is displaced because of the otoconia
- calcium carbonate crystals
- heavy, cause displacement
What happens to hair cells in the otolithic organs with acceleration?
causes hair cells to bend in the opposite direction
utricle: which plane?
saccule: which plane?
The utricle responds to
horizontal acceleration (car)
The saccule responds to
vertical acceleration (elevator)
The membranous labyrinth is filled with
- contains hair cell mechanoreceptors
2 streams of info
- action (dorsal) stream
- perception (ventral) stream
action stream function
- makes you aware of how you move your eyes
- directs eye movements (not actually moving them)
perception stream function
What do eye movements require info about?
- head movement
- selected visual target
How are eye movements accomplished?
- by MLF
- unconscious visual information
Where does unconscious visual information come from (nucleus)?