- What is the purpose of a fuel dump system?
Emergency system that dumps fuel to bring aircraft weight down to maximum landing weight to land shortly after takeoff
- Other than reducing weight, what other function can be accomplished with a fuel jettisoning system?
A heavy wing can dumb fuel to maintain stability
- What are a few types of fuel cells?
Bladder fuel cells
Integral fuel cells
Integral fuel tanks
Welded or riveted
- How is the weight of a bladder type cell supported?
Structure of the cavity that the bladder sits in
- What is “wet-wing” construction?
Built into the aircraft also known as integral fuel cells
- What markings must be placed near the fuel filler opening on reciprocating engine aircraft?
Word “AVGAS” and minimum fuel grade
- What are the advantages of a single point pressure fueling system and what is it sometimes called?
Called single point, which greatly reduces time required to service large aircraft. reduces fuel contamination
- After fueling an aircraft, why is it important for a technician to wait at least 30 minutes prior to takin a fuel sample?
Contamination to settle into the sumps
- Why should the fuel sumps of aircraft be drained before the first flight of the day?
Remove any water
- What does water look like when in fuel that has been drained from the sumps?
Clear balls of jelly
- What is the purpose of a fuel temperature indicator on a turbine engine?
Checks fuel temperature to indicated danger of ice crystals forming in fuel
- What is the purpose of warning lights in connection with fuel systems?
Indicates fuel pressure is too low
Indicated fuel quantity is below a certain level
- Where are electrically operated valve in transit indicator lights used?
Large multi-engine aircraft cross feed & line valves may have in transit lights.
- Why do fuel selectors have detects?
“Locks” switch into selected position to ensure in proper location
- What are four general types of fuel quantity gauges?
- Which type of fuel quantity gauge is more accurate than other types?
Electronic-capacitance type measures weight
- Describe the sensor used in an electronic type fuel quantity indicating system.
Tubular capacitor extending top to bottom of tank
- What is a drip gauge?
Under wing bayonet fuel gauge.
- What is a cross feed system?
Interconnected fuel system to transfer fuel from and two any tank to any engine
- What is the purpose of the baffles in a fuel tank?
Prevent fuel from surging due to changes in altitude
- How can a fuel tank be checked for leaks after a repair?
Pressure check using air & soap
- What is another name for a pressure type refueling system?
Single point refueling system
- What is the purpose of a jettisoning system on a small aircraft?
Obtain safe landing weight