- Name the safety & health precautions to be observed in i operating a dope room, inducting storage of material.
Spark proof motors, lights, & switches
- What primer is used when maximum protection of the material is desired?
- What type of test can be performed to identify existing paint finished?
Apply engine oil to surface
Nitrocellulose will soften
Clean area with MEK
- What causes blushing when applying dope or lacquer, and how can it be prevented?
Applying in humid conditions, don’t do it in these conditions
- What is the purpose of using fungicidal dope when finishing aircraft fabric?
Prevent micro-biological deterioration (rotting)
- What are the identification marking requirements for U.S. registered fixed wing aircraft?
Letter N both sides of fuselage
12 inches in height
Solid lines 1/6 as thick as they are high
- What should the color of registration markings be?
Contrast their background
- What are the two types of dope used for aircraft finishes?
Nitrate & butyrate
- What is the advantage of butyrate over nitrate?
- What would happen if dope was ever used over paint or enamel?
Lift & remove materials
- What is applied to metallic surfaces as a common resistant covering before the application of enamel or lacquer?
Zinc chromate primer
- What can be done to the surface of components to prevent filiform corrosion?
Ensure primer is cured
- What are the most common methods of applying aircraft finishes?
Dipping, brushing, spraying
- What type of paint may be used over any paint system that is in good condition?
- What normally causes runs and sags in spray application of paint finish?
Holding gun too long in one spot
Holding gun too close
- What causes fisheyes in paint?
- What is used to thin chromate primer?
- Which FAR prescribes the size and location requirements for aircraft identification numbers?
FAR part 45
- What type of materials should be thoroughly protected when using paint remover?
Synthetic rubber surfaces, aircraft tires, fabric, & acrylics
- What instructions should be followed when covering an aircraft with materials specified in an STC?
Instructions are included in the STC
- What is the principal cause for filiform corrosion?
- What is zinc chromate used for?
Primer for bare metal
- What does paint blushing look like?
Dull & hazy surface finish
- What. Causes paint dust?
Poor surface prep & overspray
- What types of paint are generally used on aircraft?
Epoxy & enamel
- What causes “orange peel” or “pebble” finish?
Spray gun setting
Or holding gun too far from work